Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

The finer points of Ballistics

How do bullets fly?
    I'm no scientist but i've started reading this site and what i can grasp is fascinating. I mean i was discussing 'spin drift' with a gunsmith last week (something the lads in the airgun scene don’t even believe in) and it made perfect sense. Also projectile stability was a good one to look at. I had no idea that most common projectiles don’t spin all that perfectly for the first 30-60m of flight. That’s something they didn’t tell me in the infantry! The humble 308 got a huge thumbs up in there too

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    How do bullets fly?
    I'm no scientist but i've started reading this site and what i can grasp is fascinating. I mean i was discussing 'spin drift' with a gunsmith last week (something the lads in the airgun scene don’t even believe in) and it made perfect sense. Also projectile stability was a good one to look at. I had no idea that most common projectiles don’t spin all that perfectly for the first 30-60m of flight. That’s something they didn’t tell me in the infantry! The humble 308 got a huge thumbs up in there too
    Depends what battalion you served in. There was only one that was considered worthy of such info and that was 2/1 obviously

I think there was a reason the Australian issue claymore had "this side face towards enemy"...lol. Kidding, i believe thats universal ha ha.
    I was in 6RAR up in QLD in the mid 90's. Good times

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I think there was a reason the Australian issue claymore had "this side face towards enemy"...lol. Kidding, i believe thats universal ha ha.
    I was in 6RAR up in QLD in the mid 90's. Good times
    Did six months with 3 RAR in Holsworthy in the 90's, had a ball. Thought you were in the NZ army sorry. No, just you Aussies had "front toward enemy" Ha Ha

That guy is crazy, read some of brian litz's stuff if you dont want to be misinformed by too much information with false conclusions.

Aussies, LOLZ

Chris