Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Fiocchi 300 Win Mag Brass

A mate of mine runs Fiocchi factory 180 gr SST's through his 300 Win Mag and doesn't reload so I get the brass from him for my Win Mag, all good, till the other day when I fired the first time loaded shell.
    The brass when fired in his rifle wouldn't chamber after F/L resizing in mine but after going through a trim die no problem.
    Anyway the fired shell had a distinct ring around it about 4-5 mm above the belt. I fired another later that day at a target and it to did the same thing but a bit worse, nearly separated. ( unfortunately I can't show you as I chucked the brass)
    This is the first load after a factory firing, my load is 74 grs RL 26 with the 200gr ELDX , CCI mag primers , COAL 85.5 mm.
    I have no problems with other brands of brass until they have had multiple firings and then it is usually the primer pocket that starts to become lose.
    I have noticed in the brass he gave me that the colors are different, the ones that are separating are a lighter color the other is a darker more gold color.
    I will fire a couple more soon but think that it is a bad batch of brass, maybe?
    Anybody else experienced problems like this with Fiocchi brass ?

Name:  P1030250.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  3.05 MBName:  P1030251.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  2.48 MB

In the first picture the bottom round is the ones that are separating haven't shot the other darker brass rounds yet. The ring can be seen in the second picture on the bottom round.