Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fire forming AI brass

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Question Fire forming AI brass

Hey, this is a process I have not done before and I was thinking of doing this without a projectile. The general method I can find on the net is to use about 10g pistol powder (Unique, AP70N) Cream of Wheat to the neck junction and then plug with polyester filler. Easy if you know what that shit is! I guess Cream of wheat could be substitute with semolina? and the polyester filler is just the stuffing out of a pillow? Any ideas would be appreciated or do I just fire form with loaded ammo. It just makes sense to me to save the barrel from another 100 rounds as well as the reduced cost of more pills etc.

DAF
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

I just found a useable fireforming load with a 105 amax jammed, with sighting in, bit of barrel cleaning and gong shooting and some dead goats Iv only 40 out of a box of 100 to go.They are fully formed and ready to go.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Robs 22-250AI's we just do a load for fire forming, Usualy easy to get due the less harmonics with the brass taking some of the sudden preasure while it streaches, Both times it was 4x4 rounds and found a load, so 16 rounds load development and 84 rabbit and Pooks (distruction order when they are seeding) ...Not one miss...well so he says

Then in that it has been 1gr more for the best group and only 16 rounds loaded to test the load in the formed brass and its all go...might try another powder one day to get some more speed but he is happy as with the way it shoots.... James your old stock is on that rifle

My 243AI was deadly accurate form firing as well but using the 87gr Vmax and 90gr BT......Goats didn't like it anyway and the kids loved shooting the steel hanging paddles as well.... Just had to watch Rose or she would empty the box if given the chance
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

lethel, what powder were you using in the 243AI? Was thinking either 2213SC or 2209 (or Win760).

2209 I got better all year round performance with the 90gr pills (1:10 twist) the W760 load turned to shit with temp change... running quite a mild load now to save the brass, Although I will try V100 at some point as it seams to run less preasure per speed than 2209 so might be able to crank it up again.... One day when I get time.
    What twist are you runing? 105 pills? N165 maybee

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    2209 I got better all year round performance with the 90gr pills (1:10 twist) the W760 load turned to shit with temp change... running quite a mild load now to save the brass, Although I will try V100 at some point as it seams to run less preasure per speed than 2209 so might be able to crank it up again.... One day when I get time.
    What twist are you runing? 105 pills? N165 maybee
    The barrel is a 26" Trueflite 1:8. I plan to run the 105VLD as it has a very high BC. I have some N560 but the stuff scares the shit outta me after the hideous fire cracking I got in my Rem Mag in under 100 rounds. Maybe N165 would be less savage? I will have speed to burn I hope in the AI so it will be more of a search for ultimate accuracy than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    The barrel is a 26" Trueflite 1:8. I plan to run the 105VLD as it has a very high BC. I have some N560 but the stuff scares the shit outta me after the hideous fire cracking I got in my Rem Mag in under 100 rounds. Maybe N165 would be less savage? I will have speed to burn I hope in the AI so it will be more of a search for ultimate accuracy than anything.
    You might want to stay away from V100 as well then as I am sure that is a double burn powder as well

I never did load work with the heavy pills so can't help on that. Sam got some pretty quick loads fire forming with the 105 amax...Not sure how the brass handled it but I am pretty sure it was with N165.

I use N165 in the RUM with the light pills but I wont be looking for fire cracking....ignorance is bliss (although I did back off when the primers started falling out) and I want a new barrel with a faster twist for that anyway

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    How about a buggered barrel or offcut and chambered with same reamer/headspace and fire out of that? know a couple of guys who use that for case foruming

Use a reasonable load for fireforming, dont run it hot and enjoy shooting.Heat and pressure kill barrels, if your getting top velocities then your running top pressures, theres no free lunch no matter what powder you use, Iv heard horror stories about many different powders killing barrels ( hunters and shooters can jump to conclusions way to quickly).but really worrrying to much about barrel life sucks the fun out of the game.
    baldbob and tui_man2 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

RL17 gave me superb accuracy and speed out of my old .243AI

3250+ fps with 105 A-maxes and 1 ragged hole. I still have no idea why I sold that rifle.......

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post

3250+ fps with 105 A-maxes and 1 ragged hole. I still have no idea why I sold that rifle.......
    That was my barrel, fireforming I used N165. Can't remember the load, but it was book max for 243 out of Nick Harveys book. Accuracy was as good as with formed brass, just about 150fps slower from memory...

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post

I have a full bottle of RL17 waiting for a use so thats good to hear. Was it very temperature sensitive?

Impure Lead Flinger
    Im reaming my old barrel and using up the 105 targex before reaming and fitting the new barrel...

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Im reaming my old barrel and using up the 105 targex before reaming and fitting the new barrel...
    Sweet, problem solved. Will send you my brass tomorrow