Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Happy Jack
  • 2 Post By widerange
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack

Thread: First hand loaded shots 22-250

First hand loaded shots 22-250

Well have tried some other shots but these are the first I recorded as being close to what I want to achieve.

Mixed brass, Sierra Blitzking 55gr and ADI 2208 powder.

Target 3 was shot with 35.5gr and target 4 with 36gr, rifle normally shoots 1/2" groups of factory at 100m and is sighted to shoot 1" high at 100m. It was quite a windy evening too but we rarely get any still days here unless its the depths of winter.

Name:  35.5gr.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  36gr.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  509.4 KB

Not sure why the pictures are on their side either.
    Phil_H and charliehorse like this.

Banned
    you may have trouble getting consistency with using mixed brass,brands I assume you mean?
    There is often quite a difference in weight of different brands of brass which can translate to differing case capacities,
    which will produce different pressures (speed) for same powder charge in different brands of cases.
    Maybe ott but consistency is a main goal when developing loads.
    Be interesting to know how different brands of brass present in your results
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Well have tried some other shots but these are the first I recorded as being close to what I want to achieve.

Mixed brass, Sierra Blitzking 55gr and ADI 2208 powder.

Target 3 was shot with 35.5gr and target 4 with 36gr, rifle normally shoots 1/2" groups of factory at 100m and is sighted to shoot 1" high at 100m. It was quite a windy evening too but we rarely get any still days here unless its the depths of winter.

Attachment 159337
    Attachment 159338

Not sure why the pictures are on their side either.
    Greetings Happy Jack,
    From your description of performance with Factory loads it appears that the rifle is capable of decent accuracy so it is a matter of looking in what has changed starting with the shooting. Did you shoot the 0.5 inch groups and if so were they shot under the same conditions and with the same technique? You mention it was windy which would account for some of the lateral dispersion but there seems to be a lot of vertical in there as well. Did you have a rock steady rest like a bench with front and rear bags and was the same technique used for each shot? Did you shoot the three shots in one string without getting up and walking around or waiting for the barrel to cool? Did you feel steady on the day? Everybody has of days, especially me.
    Next the loading. Widerange has mentioned the need to segregate brass by head stamp at least. I also like to ensure that each batch of cases is loaded together so they are all fired the same number of times. Were the cases neck sized or full length sized just enough to chamber? Were the primer pockets cleaned and the primers seated just below flush in the pocket? You can check this by rubbing your thumb over the seated primer. Ones that are not fully seated are easy to spot this way. Primers that are not fully seated can produce some very large groups. Were the cases trimmed? There are a few things to look at. With the loads you mention there seems to be a lot of vertical between the groups and I would look hard at bench technique. A run down on your loading steps and kit might help if you wish to post them.
    Regards Grandpamac.

@Happy Jack can you please tell us what rifle you are using or more to the point what twist rate the barrel is? The reason I ask is because Sierra recommend a twist rate is 1:12" or faster for the 55 grain Blitz King and if your rifle is the old standard of 1:14" twist rate it may explain your group size.

It is a 22-250 1:12 twist Savage shortened to 21" and suppressed.

I don't have access to a range so all my shooting is field shooting with a good rest but not a solid rest hence why I'm relatively happy with the results so far.

I do all my reloading on the same day usually Sunday mornings while my wife is sleeping in. I neck size and trim all cases and at the moment I am having to just reuse whatever brass I have from factory rounds, eventually I will be able to use all the same brass.

I think the lack of close grouping is definitely down to me as when I shot the factory at less than MOA it was with a proper bench rest.

All primer pockets get cleaned and I use a hand primer that sets the primer just under flush.

I'm awaiting on the SI chrony so I can see what speeds I'm getting and if they are close to what's claimed for this calibre I'll be happy.
    grandpamac likes this.

good stuff....now to improove your field marksmanship,without it costing arm n leg...or even $39 for cheap bipod... there are thing you can do to help your cause...
    damped prone was always considered the best way to shoot....it takes as much of the human factor out of equasion as possible....
    if you can line up on target,close your eyes n relax for count of 20,open eyes and still be lined up...chances are you have a really good rest and will group well....if you fighting to stay inside the 2 ring let alone the 9...well you arent going to do so well..... now I take it you are shooting at targets the way up you have written on them???? dont......turn them up other way and aim to shoot guts out of square,eg make you Xhairs cut that white square into 4 equal bits as you gently squeaze off. your impacts will register on the rings above...or put a small coloured dot in centre of the square if got high magnification...old old old saying "aim small,miss small" the smaller the bit you aiming at,the closer together your impacts should be.... damped prone can be as simple as having soft well stuffed daybag...or a sleeping bag,under mag well of rifle,your arms,hands as per normal and a thick pair of socks under toe of butt......I set my bro in law up on chammy and actually used my sweaty socks for this job...he wrinkled his nose a bit but managed to shoot 2 chammy with single round....
    its all about being consistant.
    I will post a link to article which has helped lots of folks,myself included.... its nothing new,not rocket science,just something that works.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...at+Forend.html
    Happy Jack likes this.

Thanks MD will read tonight
    Micky Duck likes this.