Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dama dama
  • 1 Post By Cigar

Thread: first press: single stage or turret?

first press: single stage or turret?

Hey guys.

Getting into this reloading lark, currently for .270 Win. I have 4 Lee dies (FL sizer, quick trim, bullet seater & factory crimp). I am keeping my eyes peeled for a press. I'd been thinking of starting out with a cheap cast-iron single stage as I don't really have much to spend, but have seen a Lee three hole turret. Are these better or worse? I imagine there's a benefit in being able to leave the dies set up how you like them, but is there a downside?

And the reality is that I don't get out much, so it will probably be many years (if ever) before I upgrade. Whatever I get needs to suit a newbie but be good enough for the future.

PS - I can only ever see myself developing loads for hunting, I'm not into benchrest comps or anything.

Cheers, Rob

Same as u I just do hunting loads. I just use an old Lyman spartan single stage and slowly make up ammo. Generally prep brass in big lots (which for me is about 100 cases). And load ammo as I need it.
    I have no problem making sub moa ammo with my very basic gear.
    If u are not doing big volume for competition then I say keep it simple with a single stage press.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Gone but not forgotten
    I started with a single stage O frame about 25 years ago - and it’s still what I use now.
    I load for five calibres but usually only one at a time and 10-50 rounds. The single stage press doesn’t slow me down, manually weighing each powder charge as exact as possible does. I find my powder measure to be pretty accurate, even with powders others say don’t meter well, but I’m mainly doing load development so 3-5 rounds at each charge weight. For 50 rounds of 223 plinking ammo I use the measure.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Get a single stage

Go the single spinner, a bit like a holden really

Can't go wrong with a single stage especially for your stated purpose, with a bit of practice you can still get quite a few done in an hour.
    Last edited by mawzer308; 01-03-2019 at 04:45 PM.

i can sell you a hornady kit for $550. hardly used.
    more if you want dies and powder

Thanks guys! I should have added that the turret press is going for about the least I expected to pay for a single stage, but it sounds like the jury is overwhelmingly in favour of keeping it simple. Will keep looking - thanks for the offer @gonetropo, but that's more than I've got to spend.

I suspect you could do either option. how many rounds a year are you gonna be loading?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20