Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem

Thread: First Reloading Kit Hornady or RCBS

First Reloading Kit Hornady or RCBS

Hey guys considering one of these two kits for my first reloading kit. Is there any discernible difference between RCBS and Hornady quality and usefulness or is it just the usual Ford V Holden type deal.

I think the Hornady one has the digital scales and the RCBS one doesnt.

Cheers

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...aster+Kit.html

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...ading+Kit.html

Gone but not forgotten
    IMO you need mechanical beam scales, the electronic ones can wander a bit and powder charges need to be checked regularly against beam scales.

Really? I was hoping to use digital scales

i have been using the hornady kit. probably only done 400 rounds tops with no issues.
    i will sell it to you $500 plus postage as i need the $$
    on a side note the secret to reloading is bloody good lighting. dont ever do it in bad light as mistakes will be made and un noticed
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Cheap digital scales can be problematic - I started with the little Hornady ones, but found the zero drifted quite often and you really needed to watch out for it. Also can be subject to interference from other electric stuff near by. Spend a bit more on digital scales ~$200 - 300, you want regret it. A good beam scale is also worth considering. I hand weigh every charge so you dont need half the pafff that comes in those kits

Yeah mate - stick to the balance beam unless you are willing to shell out $600 for a Lyman or similar. The Little desk top ones are well, to not put too fine a point on it Poos..
    Instead buy a cheap trickler $30 odd bucks and use a scoop - like you get in the Lee Die sets - you'll get pretty fast at scoop and then trickle the last bit in. It's also the process we use for the Lyman too to get faster so directly transferable skill set -
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    Really? I was hoping to use digital scales
    You can use digital scales (I do sometimes), but you need to be able to check they are correct. It could really wreck your day, rifle and face if they are 4 grains out (which i have had, but i think my fault due to taking calibration weight off too soon?)). If you aren't pushing the limits you can use a 224 projectile or similar as a check weight that is in the same range as your powder charge. The little Hornady scales come with a 10 gram weight, but that's 154 grains, so well away from the 35 to 45 grains of powder I'm usually loading.
    I weigh the powder charge out, lift the pan and check the scales go to the right tare weight (-155.7gr), pan back on and check it gives original reading again, then off, check tare weight, and in the case. Then check scales go to 0.0 with empty pan before weighing the next one.
    The scales definitely need some time to warm up before use.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Yeah mate - stick to the balance beam unless you are willing to shell out $600 for a Lyman or similar. The Little desk top ones are well, to not put too fine a point on it Poos..
    Instead buy a cheap trickler $30 odd bucks and use a scoop - like you get in the Lee Die sets - you'll get pretty fast at scoop and then trickle the last bit in. It's also the process we use for the Lyman too to get faster so directly transferable skill set -
    I recently bought the full set of Lee spoons, and found them with the trickler on the beam scales was faster than the electronic scales, even though I use the spoon and trickler on them too. I think the beam scales settle quicker when trickling the last few granules in, the electronic ones can take a few seconds to realise you have added more.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have been using the hornady kit. probably only done 400 rounds tops with no issues.
    i will sell it to you $500 plus postage as i need the $$
    on a side note the secret to reloading is bloody good lighting. dont ever do it in bad light as mistakes will be made and un noticed
    I'll probably go new for the price difference, cheers for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    as far as the press goes you need to try them .i prefer the rcbs as it has an angle on the handle .i have always used a beam scale but have purchased a digital scale to try. main thing with powder is double check weight and double check which powder is being used .
    I'll try and find somewhere I can try them maybe reloaders has some set up