Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Forster case trimmers

Been looking around for a while now for a new trimmer and am thinking that the Forster original trimmer will be a good choice. I was also thinking of adding the 3 in 1 cutter in attempt to save some time deburring and chamfering..... I will most likely add a power adapter as well.

Anyone used one and have an opinion to share?

Personally, I think those types of case trimmers are overpriced for what they are, so made my own.

Basically its a stepper motor with a $12 drill chuck whacked on the end. I had made a motor driver out of stuff I already had plus a few extras. A few budget lee accessories and whallah! Motorised case trimmer for roughly half the cost

They look good. I have contemplated buying the same trimming system.
    At the moment I use the Lee Quick Trim Deluxe with power adaptor, which is similar in that it trims, chamfers and deburrs in the one cut.
    If you buy a forster I will be keen to hear how well it works.

Yes, I have used one for 25-odd years and it has been perfectly adequate for trimming over that time.

I don't recommend it for the neck turning add-on though - if your thoughts were tending in that direction as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexW View Post
    Personally, I think those types of case trimmers are overpriced for what they are, so made my own.

Basically its a stepper motor with a $12 drill chuck whacked on the end. I had made a motor driver out of stuff I already had plus a few extras. A few budget lee accessories and whallah! Motorised case trimmer for roughly half the cost
    Cordless drill, far more versatile

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Cordless drill, far more versatile
    Thats definately an option, but this way is much more stable/less awkward. And I dont need to deal with batteries etc

Mate I use the hornady with the power attachment for cordless drills but you still need the pilots and shell holders. It's good don't get me wrong but I would recommend the RCBS with the paddle which uses a generic plate to hold most cases. It saves on shell holders and mucking about.

Or if your game the worlds finest trimmers from little crow Gunworks is awesome and fits a drill
    Warm Barrels!

I just use trim dies, work pretty good, simple and easy to set up and use

Two trains of thought, trim dies like what Ryan said but if you want to do more, and I add at far greater cost, then forster or century 21 etc will do other things as well.

I have a forster trimmer and use it for necks as well as trim to length. It makes a far nicer job of neck turning than some of the hand held units I have seen used.
    If all you want to do is keep case length optimum go with the trim dies or the lee mandrel system as shown with the drill pic like Alex is using.

If you use a forster to trim to length more than 1 case style it can be a bitch to get set to the next length.

Main problem I have found is that one of the cases I want to trim doesnt have the likes of a lee trim die or a bushing for say the wft trimmer (7mm Blaser) hense looking at the forster or more universal setup. I havent really checked out the rcbs one, will take a look at it. Nice DIY option there but limited to common cases no? 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Main problem I have found is that one of the cases I want to trim doesnt have the likes of a lee trim die or a bushing for say the wft trimmer (7mm Blaser) hense looking at the forster or more universal setup. I havent really checked out the rcbs one, will take a look at it. Nice DIY option there but limited to common cases no? ��
    Yeah at the moment it is, I'm only focussing on .223 for starters. I'm sure lee sells shell holders/pilots for most calibers, unless you're shooting something really oddball