Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: frangible .270

Big_Les

frangible .270

In an earlier post , i spoke about helping a mate with some reloading for his 270 . Now I am looking for a recommendation of a 270 pill that would be recognised as of a frangible design . He,s not one for believing that a single hole is better than two . So, his perfect round causes a hole , partially breaks up some what , bits of the projectile cause more damage and best of all sometimes causes bleeding out boths sides of the animal , killing it really quickly .
    So he is after a frangible projectile ( i think ? ) cause this sounds like something Nathan Foster has described in terminal research discussions .
    what are people thinking as to what maker of 270 projectiles has a frangible design ?
    cheers
    les

speer spbt definitely in the softest bracket....
    the 145grn eld m is a SST with slimmed down design so is almost there...
    you cannot go wrong with a NBT is 130grn...just take out the front wheels....
    infact that is pretty much the trick to getting best out of a .270w in my opinion...take out the front wheels and the animal will drop very quickly.
    for small light animals when meat recovery isnt priority the 110grn hornady HP is devistating but will not penertrate ,it will blow up on surface of anything solid,awesome on wallabies and leaves a hole similar in size n shape to a 1litre coke bottle.... very very messy DO NOT use this on deer sized game unless close and can gaurantee a headshot and be prepared to follow up.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

the new deer season round looks to be a very fast expanding design...... worth a crack if want factory fodder.

130sst
    Padox and Dazzh like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

My thoughts of using a frangible type bullet wouldn’t end well.
    The bullet will blow up on contact, much like it is designed to do.
    Animal runs off maimed to die, your mate goes home pissed off & hungry
    Moa Hunter likes this.

its all about picking your shots,and picking correct projectile type for target species.... no different to any other calibre yet the humble .270w gets a bad rep for ruining meat one week as bullets have blown up,then fella goes to a harder projectile and gets bad rep again as he didnt hit bone and it zips right through leaving pinhole wounding....

Big_Les
    thanks for that . Some great info there . Is NBT, Nosler boat tail in 130 gr
    cheers
    les

Sierra 130s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    For many years I used Winny Powerpoints driven fast as a first pick for deer and pigs, but I have found that Accubonds are much better. They open fast but being bonded hold together and pass right through. Animals dont go far with air blowing in one side and out the other. A lot of times the animal will move after the shot but will be easily found with a lot of gravy to follow. Animals are never lost, even with a poorly placed shot, a hit is confirmed by a good amount of blood at the impact site and meat damage is minimal - measured at about 3-4 litres with a 270. SSt projectiles will give you 10 ltrs of bruised trim and more lost animals. If venison is valued at $10 kg, a soft pill is costing you $60 in lost meat.
    Relative to everything else quality bullets are cheap and well worth the extra $0.60 more than a non- bonded job no matter which way the numbers get spun
    charliehorse and Muttonguts like this.

I agree with @MoaHunter on the effectiveness of the Accubonds. I have used the 130gr exclusively in my 270 for the last 12 odd years and they have always performed (Shots range from 15-350yds). Animals almost always drop on the spot with a shot through the front wheels/engine room, and the couple that haven’t only take a step or two before dropping. The shoot bloody accurate through my rifle too, which helps (using AR 2209)

Another one I have used a bit is the 130gr Gamekings. They are another reliable performer and typically easy to get to shoot accurate, and would be by replacement to the ABs if I run out of stock of them.

Would also recommend against the 130gr SST, they make a mess of meat and not suited to shorter range shots from my experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

+1 for the SST making a mess
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LJPRMC View Post
    thanks for that . Some great info there . Is NBT, Nosler boat tail in 130 gr
    cheers
    les
    indeed it is...Ive shot many animals with them over the years and never found them lacking at all. take out them front wheels and your freezer will stay full.

the 150grn powerpoints on other hand.........very tidy on deer indeed,nice blood trail and not huge amount of mess....good for a factory option for bush hunting or sub 200 yard deer....

What about the old standby 130gr partitions?
    Like and accubond but different a d not as accurate?

nobody has ever said they not accurate,or do not kill stuff very very well...pricey yes...not the most slippery high BC design yes.....but they just plain old work,wel lthe 150grn ones surely do,in spades.