Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By crzyman

Thread: G1 and G7 Debate

G1 and G7 Debate

I frequent Snipershide and see alot of great debates go down and this one happening now is a not to miss about the functions of g1 and g7 flight and if it really matters using either with certain ballistic solvers .
    Bryan Litz from Berger and Lowlight from SnipersHide are doing a 12 rounder and it is very very interesting -page 1 is a little slow but page 2 is fantastic

Read and and pass comment

Ballistic coefficient G1 and G7 - Sniper's Hide Forums

yep been reading that
    I love bryan litz's book as full of info, something to baffle and ponder!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I dont see what there is to debate.

G1 and G7 are different bullet profiles, the only one that will ever match in real life is the G1 or G7 bullet.

Litz comes one and explains the difference, in a bit of long hand, but its actually very simple theory.

If there were more bullet manufacturers like litz we would be far better equipped as shooters, he actually knows his stuff.

Chris

No amount of reading can match real live firing and practice at all intended ranges in all weather/elevation and wind.

After a few shots at range you will know if the "figures" you are using are correct.
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    No amount of reading can match real live firing and practice at all intended ranges in all weather/elevation and wind.

After a few shots at range you will know if the "figures" you are using are correct.
    Sums it up nicely for me. It is all that matters in the end. Real results. Not read results.

The Interesting thing about the debate also is that Lowlight is no idiot .He has been a proffetional shooter and intructor and can certainly hold his own in this argument and is saying after all his results from practice it hasnt made a large difference using g1 or g7 -litz argument is text book science + he is one of the USA top palma shooters .Its hard to argue with results and Litz and Lowlight are both saying they getem by different means .I myself am G7 proponent but the debate is facinating introducing thoughts I would have no idea about

They both have valid points. Litz is technically correct, but there are so many impossible to correct for variables that you may never notice the difference, and G1 gets you as close as you can use, if that's all you've got. That is basically what Frank is saying

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    But I get Litz point. Why drive a nail with a wrench? There is no point bothering with G1, as it is not designed for the projectiles your using. Why would you bother? G7 is available, and its the right BC for boat tails, so why not use it? You still have to do work on your trajectory, but with G7 you have to do less.
    That is what i call nail on the head!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    That is what i call nail on the head!
    Yes

I'm half wondering if Lowlights argument is designed to get Bryan to publish his G7 database.

Does it really matter that much? If you only know the G1 BC use it. If you know the G7 and can input it in to your ballistics calculator use that.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    In the end both will get you there but G7 is easier, I have used both with good results and still wouldn't feel disadvantage using either, although I would probably recommend to a new shooter to use G7. One thing that even Mr Litz admits that at the longer ranges you will still have to step the G7 BC to get it to work for the real world bullet drop just like G1, so as you can see nothing is perfect.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind