Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GC .303 ammo

GC .303 ammo

Name:  FD2C3C60-BB81-4DBC-94D3-8B6C58D7ECEA.jpeg
Views: 427
Size:  2.00 MB
    Needs a bit of prep and watch out for corroded case necks.

Name:  B897F1CC-57DC-44DD-AA73-39C666B74A62.jpeg
Views: 457
Size:  2.30 MB
    This is getting pulled.
    Cordite likes this.

seems to vary quite a bit, I got some a couple of months ago and they were all pretty good (the cases that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    seems to vary quite a bit, I got some a couple of months ago and they were all pretty good (the cases that is)
    Ditto, but mine came from a North Island supplier. I suspect that they on sold their "best" first and now they are getting to the "Less attractive" as I heard it being damned as having been "stored under water" by a South Islander buyer.

The GC Greek HXP (Hellenic Xartridge Co) was stored 40 odd years in phosphated steel stripper clips causing some galvanic corrosion to the outsides. That is, it's NOT an inside-to-outside corrosion, but rather external and (mostly) superficial.

The black grainy gunk around the cartridge rim is the black phosphating from the stripper clip that's come off when GC (somewhat greedily) separated the stripper clips for separate sale at $20 for five.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

For what it's worth, I've experienced 2 duds from 100rds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    For what it's worth, I've experienced 2 duds from 100rds.
    I paid $1 a round... got 700 rounds, so far so good.

I dont have any that look like the first photo, i fact some look like they were made yesterday, others some blemishing, but still nothing like the photo's above.

Bought 300 rounds of it @$89 per 100
    Chucked some of it through the dry tumbler came out looking a bit better.
    Yet to try it out. The PPU 180gr soft point shoots not bad.

Some of the rounds theyre selling also have sunken projectiles.
    Havent shot any of mine yet but they arent corroded like OPs.
    As for the PPU, the cheapest anywhere is $35/20. You'd expect a bit more.

I got some yonks ago for my P14 303. I'm pretty certain that they all didn't (only a dozen or so) have the same oomph. The first one was pretty light. It had been years since I fired a 30' but it only felt like my 243. some later definitely had more. Subjective I know but that's what it felt like.

Any good ideas for getting a separated neck out of a chamber after SIL tried to reload and couldn't chamber the next round? Sigh. Shitty old ammo not worth the hassle I'm thinking. Anyway the piece of neck brass is well and truly lodged. I'm thinking of driving a lead ball down from the muzzle as in barrel slugging in the hope's it will dislodge. Comments? Suggestions?

Google 'split case extractor'
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Any good ideas for getting a separated neck out of a chamber.......................
    Take a longer-than-barrel length of unthreaded rod-1/4" diameter and cut a 1" slot in one end. Sharpen the inside edge ends with a file. Spread the ends wider than the inside diameter of the case. Push the rod in from the chamber end and pull the rod at the muzzle end until the spreaded slot is well inside the broken case. It will compress inside the case and when you tap the rod from the muzzle end, the sharpened ends of the slot will dig in to the case walls and the case will come out of the chamber.
    csmiffy likes this.

It shoots well as was made on ex Winchester plant sold to the Greeks. It’s loaded with a powder similar to win 748. Some of it has definitely suffered from moisture issues based on the cases I’ve seen and the misfires. Generally its good stuff and the brass is excellent

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Any good ideas for getting a separated neck out of a chamber after SIL tried to reload and couldn't chamber the next round? Sigh. Shitty old ammo not worth the hassle I'm thinking. Anyway the piece of neck brass is well and truly lodged. I'm thinking of driving a lead ball down from the muzzle as in barrel slugging in the hope's it will dislodge. Comments? Suggestions?
    Sometimes you can have success with a bronze cleaning brush but from what you have said mmmmm maybe not.
    That leaves Kiwi Sapper's method or a commercial broken case extractor as suggested.
    I have also seen the outcome of someone using a modified round file - don't do that.