Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Getting rid of crimped primer pockets?

Getting rid of crimped primer pockets?

I have a few hundred ADI .223 cases with crimped primer pockets which I need to sort out for reloading so I thought I’d ask those who have been down this path what they have tried?

I know you can just use your case deburring tool to get rid of the crimp but wanted to know what effect that might have on the primer when reloaded, fired, pressures etc... pros and cons for this method?

The other method is to get a primer pocket swaging tool such as a Dillon but their expensive for what I’m wanting or get a die set that fits on my press for a lot less... again what are the pros and cons?

ebf
    I cut the crimp out using one of 2 methods :

1) Deburring tool chucked in a lathe.
    2) Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer - prt no 390750. Made a depth stop collar for this one.

If you don't have a lathe, you could rig up a drill in a vice and clamp the trigger on slow speed setting. The usual "this could hurt you" warnings apply
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Greetings Seventenths,
    I use a Lyman primer pocket reamer for .223, .308 and .303 (not the Berdan Primed cases). I have used a RCBS swaging tool in the past. I prefer the reamer. You will still get the odd case that the primer is still a little hard to seat but waggling the case a bit usually gets over this. For decapping I use a Lee punch and base set with light hammer blows rather than trying to get it done with one smack.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I use the case deburring tool...milserp .223 and some hornady once fired .308 and .270....think they mustve started crimping the superpreformance stuff and just kept going...a quick whirl sorts it and sure makes seating primers a breaze,its like boattail Vs flat base...there is no check before slipping in...never seen any adverse effects at all..never had one fall out or burst or anything diferent to non deburred.
    dannyb likes this.

I had a bunch of ADI brass and like Micky Duck just used the case deburring tool once I'd removed the old primers. Occasionally you might find a case that offers up a be of extra tension when placing the new primers however I've never had an issue putting them in and I've never had one fall out.

With ADI brass I do find it doesn't last as long as other brass. I've decided to retire mine after 4 reloads. I've experienced split cases after 5 or 6 reloads and I'm not keen on that at all... these photos show the stages towards separation:

Name:  20191217_101936_resized.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  1.53 MB

My loads are not hot either - around 2940 fps.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    I had a bunch of ADI brass and like Micky Duck just used the case deburring tool once I'd removed the old primers. Occasionally you might find a case that offers up a be of extra tension when placing the new primers however I've never had an issue putting them in and I've never had one fall out.

With ADI brass I do find it doesn't last as long as other brass. I've decided to retire mine after 4 reloads. I've experienced split cases after 5 or 6 reloads and I'm not keen on that at all... these photos show the stages towards separation:

Attachment 148214

My loads are not hot either - around 2940 fps.
    Greetings Planenutz,
    It's not pressure that is cracking the cases, it's excess headspace. Assuming you are starting with new brass, or cases fired once in your rifle, the cases are being full length sized too much creating the problem. Try backing the full length die away from the shell holder and then size them a little more each time until they just chamber. Lock your die at that setting and that should fix the problem. I know the die makers tell us to screw the die down hard on the shell holder, as I used to, but this can cause problems if the chamber is on the maximum side. I think I can see the beginning of a stretch mark on case 2 and definitely on case 3.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck, Cordite, Scout and 1 others like this.

To take out the crimp I scraped it with my trusty Swiss Army Knife (the big blade). Also, used the neck deburring tool on some others. I have not noticed any reloading/firing difference in cases de-crimped this way and cases that have not had a primer crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Planenutz,
    It's not pressure that is cracking the cases, it's excess headspace. Assuming you are starting with new brass, or cases fired once in your rifle, the cases are being full length sized too much creating the problem. Try backing the full length die away from the shell holder and then size them a little more each time until they just chamber. Lock your die at that setting and that should fix the problem. I know the die makers tell us to screw the die down hard on the shell holder, as I used to, but this can cause problems if the chamber is on the maximum side. I think I can see the beginning of a stretch mark on case 2 and definitely on case 3.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Yep what Grandpamac said, I would say !

Cheers guys

I’ve gone down the path of deburring the primer pockets to get rid of the crimp which is certainly a better cost effective way.

I had a look at the bag of cases and would say there’s a good 800-1000 cases to be sorted and deburred

On a side note dies anyone who who makes .223 cases head stamped “PERFECTA”?
    Micky Duck likes this.

fiochi make perfecta...according to uncle google.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    How many?
    I can setup the processing machine and swage them if there is enough call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seventenths likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Planenutz,
    Regards Grandpamac.
    A timely post - thank you @grandpamac and also to @Scout

Yes, I was aware it wasn't pressure which was doing this... my point was just that the ADI brass was not as resilient as other types. These were splitting after 5 or 6 reloads whereas other brass was still going strong after 7 or 8 reloads.

That said, I really appreciate your comments and advice as I had a bunch of questions I was going to put into a PM and this has served to give me time to pause and rethink some of the questions. So thanks for that, I appreciate it. Don't be surprised if you hear from me in the near future.

@Seventenths, find someone local with a dillon 600 super swage. Easy set up, and won't take long
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    How many?
    I can setup the processing machine and swage them if there is enough call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Extremely kind and generous offer!

ALOT of brass... I thought it was all one brand but I need to sort through it for ADI, Hornady, Perfecta and some PPU

I'll sort it out first and see how much actually needs the crimp removed.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    @Seventenths, find someone local with a dillon 600 super swage. Easy set up, and won't take long
    What the man said. Have done about 5k ADI brass with it.Uniform it after with a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer but not before swaging it.