Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Getting started in reloading

Exclamation Getting started in reloading

As I'm a reloading virgin can someone recommend a reloading "bible" I should read before I go any further? Theres plenty out there but what's a good starting one.

Thanks
    Last edited by charliehorse; 20-10-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: I can find out the other stuff for myself..

Hey Charlie,

So, you have the rifle and brass, but no loaded ammo

This would be a good start for $289 it includes a set of dies.

https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Rel...Kit+90050.html

Lee isn't flash, but it gives very good results for the money.

In time you might want to upgrade to a set of digital scales
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Loads of assistance on Youtube, but in here, you need to identify the caliber you will be reloading. No point in 303 aficionados wasting their time posting when you want to reload 12 gauge ...

Get the point?

buy just about ANY of the older reloading manuals....my 1st edition Nosler has all the info you could ever need...the later one, not so much.
    reloading isnt rocket science but it is a step by step thing. anyone can make reloads as good as factory ammo....its easy. get that down pat then start to tweak a load to fine tune.
    I reloaded for 20 years before bothering to tweak loads...the freezer has always been full and my ammo bill small.

Okay thanks guys. @Kiwi Sapper I'm shooting 270, 22-250 and 17 hornet

well a .270...thats good. yip 1st edition nosler manual....it tells you the how and the why.
    recipes are dime a dozen...pick something middle of road to top end...with fullest case and go from there.

I think youtube is a great resource as kiwi snapper said. Try find someone in the area to learn off. (That knows what they are doing). Buy gear thats good if you are anal. or you will end up replacing everything. ultimate reloader on youtube has some good how to videos. The 6.5 guys have a few reloading videos (they are precision reloaders). I have brought redding gear. its pretty sweet. Rcbs is nice also. Forster.

I think its important to buy good verniers for measuring. Pan handle precision on youtube is also good for information. He has a list of gear needed for reloading (is a big list Not all needed) http://panhandleprecision.com/a-relo...mend%ef%bb%bf/

Nick Harvey manuals got me started. The Net is great too, but cross-reference EVERYTHING to be sure, and then look at a book to be certain. Dont assume powders with the same Number, but different manufacturer, are the same. They will generally have different burn-rates/pressures. Dont mix powders, always check powder-loads with a light, to ensure they look the same height. Always begin close to starting-loads and work-up. Dont obssess with super-close projectile-to-rifling gaps: touching 'can' spike pressures..a bit like an engine ''Tappet' ; a tappy-one , is a happy one, when you are first starting-out. Store your powder in a Cool/Dry place and dont leave it sitting around with the caps off, in the Sun, or in a hot vehicle--this stuff , all kills it. Read lots, till it all makes sense, its sometimes more fun than shooting it. Good luck, its Fun

Agree, this or a later edition - recommended.

Name:  Scan.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  589.6 KB
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.

As I recall the Hornady reloading manual is good, as well as the Speer Manual. I did a mix of that along with watching on Youtube. I was really interested in 9mm to start with so I watched a lot of 9mm reloading videos and that along with reading the books above got me started.

I think if I was you I would start with .270 as that is fairly easy to reload as far as rifle ammunition goes, lots of bullet and powder choices for it. Take your time step by step and ask questions if you have them.

@charliehorse - this is a good buy: https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...e-book-8-50008

As the others have suggested, Youtube can be useful as well. If you're starting out from zero knowledge on reloading, I came across a multi-part series by Randy Newberg where he is coached through starting out with one of the guys from Nosler. It is helpful in that it assumes zero prior knowledge, so helps to answer a lot of the questions that are often assumed knowledge by many of the Youtube crowd.

My two main pieces of advice: 1) Read, read and read some more of the manuals suggested to get a handle on the basic principles (try to avoid getting sidetracked by 'advanced' stuff that doesn't matter to produce safe accurate ammo. 2) Develop some good habits/routines for yourself - always assume you WILL get distracted from what you are doing, so develop systems where it is easy to come back to what you were doing and figure out how far you got - NEVER rely on memory!!!

Have fun and welcome to the interesting world of DIY ammo
    rewa likes this.

theres a youtuve channel by jiujitsu2000 who explains the basics well

Thanks alot guys

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    @charliehorse - this is a good buy: https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...e-book-8-50008

As the others have suggested, Youtube can be useful as well. If you're starting out from zero knowledge on reloading, I came across a multi-part series by Randy Newberg where he is coached through starting out with one of the guys from Nosler. It is helpful in that it assumes zero prior knowledge, so helps to answer a lot of the questions that are often assumed knowledge by many of the Youtube crowd.

My two main pieces of advice: 1) Read, read and read some more of the manuals suggested to get a handle on the basic principles (try to avoid getting sidetracked by 'advanced' stuff that doesn't matter to produce safe accurate ammo. 2) Develop some good habits/routines for yourself - always assume you WILL get distracted from what you are doing, so develop systems where it is easy to come back to what you were doing and figure out how far you got - NEVER rely on memory!!!

Have fun and welcome to the interesting world of DIY ammo
    To add to this:

(1) take it slow

(2) keep a log book for each caliber with stuff like date , projectile, powder, primer, seating depth, amount loaded, etc.

That way you can retrace your steps so to speak, if need be.
    Steelisreal and rewa like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Hi, i'm new too. I was considering joining up to christchurch hand loaders. Anyone here going out there to do their reloading?