Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Going from a super swede to a 45-70gov

Going from a super swede to a 45-70gov

Now i saw that huge (and most excellent i might add) thread on here about the subsonic 45-70s but im just planning on making my new bergara bark loud and proud with regular jacketed 400gn speer soft noses. The 300gn federal powershok shop ammo i bought were very accurate, if not a tad bit underpowered. Cant post the pic because i went and shot at one of my business cards... but trust me they cloverleafed at 100m off a rolled up gearbag and sling (no bipod yet).

Anyone else currently exploring the 'gov' lately?

ebf
    @berg243 where are you getting your 405gr cast from ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

What is 300gn "underpowered" for??
    Gibo and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms View Post
    Parking stuff. So that when you shoot a deer, you dont have to look for it- it stays RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT IT........The joy of big bore.
    Dead is better, john m and xtightg like this.

The factory 45-70 ammo is pretty slow only loaded to 28000psi SAAMI spec, since there are still a lot of trapdoor rifles around in the states. Real world velocities are in the range of 1600 - 1700fps depending on barrel length. They are underpowered in the sense that you can get velocities as high as 2400fps (300gr projectile) with hand loads.

To answer the OP yes for the last 5 years or so, has been very effective out to 150yds which is the furthest I've shot an animal with it. Recoil is pretty stout once you start shooting to marlin and Ruger velocities. My rifle shoots all grain weights well but loves the 400gr Speers.
    Dead is better and john m like this.

big hunks of lead slung by black powder is Fun......

To quote Marvin the Martian...."Where's the earth shattering kaboom??"
    I was expecting this thing to knock me half over but it wasnt too bad. If it hadnt been in a plastic stock i doubt the recoil would have been worse than medium.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    My rifle shoots all grain weights well but loves the 400gr Speers.
    Yes! I just ordered a box of those and some 2207. I got some lee dies to try as this is as good a time as any.

earth shattering kaabooom would be the .45/90 or the .45/110 the possibilities of those in a modern strong action are rather mind blowing.... from the little Ive seen pushing cast hunks of lead with black powder is fun but not hugely hard on the shoulder.swap to smokeless powder and as the loads go from trapdoor levels up into the lever gun levels its get warmer,the full house ruger #1 type loads would be tooth rattling.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    earth shattering kaabooom would be the .45/90 or the .45/110 the possibilities of those in a modern strong action are rather mind blowing.... from the little Ive seen pushing cast hunks of lead with black powder is fun but not hugely hard on the shoulder.swap to smokeless powder and as the loads go from trapdoor levels up into the lever gun levels its get warmer,the full house ruger #1 type loads would be tooth rattling.
    A mate has just acquired a 45/120 and is waiting on brass and dies, should make a fair cloud

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Yes! I just ordered a box of those and some 2207. I got some lee dies to try as this is as good a time as any.
    Nice one, 2207 has always been good for accuracy and velocity. I also use lee dies and have had no issues.
    Dead is better likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Nice one, 2207 has always been good for accuracy and velocity. I also use lee dies and have had no issues.
    Had a bit of a play this afternoon with the new dies. They feel about right for the money. Maybe even a tad bit more value than that as there are a couple of design ideas in there i can see. Curious to see how the ammo compares to the federal

Name:  Screenshot_20190913-182414_Photo Editor.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  331.6 KB

Not much room left in that case after you squeeze that 400gn slug down in there. Thats just off the lands too. Rethinking the benifits of the heavier projectiles now. Next run will be with the 300gn to see if it isnt hitting harder anyway

what power level are you running at??? 45grns of 2208 behind a 395-415grn projectile has considerably more push than 43.5grns thats nowhere near the ruger #1 levels.