Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Sapper

Thread: The Great Primer Shortage

Gone but not forgotten

The Great Primer Shortage

I was cruising Youtube the other night and stumbled across a vid explaining the cause of the reloading primer shortage in the US.
    Was news to me. Apparently it's because they are all being used to produce factory ammo for all the new gun owners.
    https://youtu.be/0pk2434-O6k

Greetings Cigar,
    While I would not promote U tube as a fountain of truth and unbiased knowledge, they are probably right on that one. If you don't live in a cave you will have spotted the the US is electing a president shortly. It appears that it is mandatory for Republicans (especially those who are feeling the heat) to fall back on "The Democrats will take your guns etc" The incumbent with his dullard assistants have raised this to new levels recently so the firearm industry is doing a roaring trade, for now. It is all BS of course and the current panic will give way to hard times for the industry regardless of the electoral outcome. Until next time anyway. You likely remember the Obama 1 and 2 and Hilary 1 shortages.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Moa Hunter and ZQLewis like this.

Some people must live in a cave , if you want to understand what is going on read this: https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/#
    The real kicker is the First one , the intent of which is to Sue Companies out of existence with never ending " Law Suits" .

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Some people must live in a cave , if you want to understand what is going on read this: https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/#
    The real kicker is the First one , the intent of which is to Sue Companies out of existence with never ending " Law Suits" .
    "Federal law*prevents hunters from hunting migratory game birds with more than three shells in their shotgun. That means our federal law does more to protect ducks than children"........WTF! Surely it's illegal to kill children in the US? Unlike ducks.

My reason for starting the thread was to give people a heads-up that we might have a primer shortage down the track.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

There is more this than a primer shortage . 22 rim fire is taking a big hit , along with the popular centrefire.Powder is starting to be hoovered up as well and rifles sales are on the rise , just where this will end is anyone's guess because no matter what you think there is more at stake than people realize. The outcome for Shooting sports rely largely on USA demand/manufacture ( US and world wide manufacturers )

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    There is more this than a primer shortage............
    YUp........so buy cartridges, primers and powder while you can, just like we bought lavatory paper back in march :>)
    Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

There are no primers to be had in the USA on store shelves.

Typical retail for primers for a box of 1000, depending on brand or type, is $25-$35 US$.

You might find primers second hand now for $200-$400 a box of a 1000.

People here are even scouring estate sales to hoover up primers.

Out of the tens of millions of guns sold this year, it is estimated there are five million new gun owners. A lot of people have realized there is no magic force field around their house or suburb, nor are the police necessarily going to save you, especially if you are living in a democratic party run city. These spazzy panicky people bought up all the factory ammo and apparently primers are getting sent to factory ammo production, so there is none left for reloaders.

Prices on ammo and components were dirt cheap from 2016-2019 and it was commonly talked about on the forums. Buy now while it's cheap and stock up. Those that did not well, so sad too bad.

I think I have about 20K primers and a ton of ammo, so I can shoot for years and let all the drama unfold.

Friend of mine owns a big gun store. When a pallet of ammo comes in, even with a 2 box limit on some cartridges, it all sells in hours.

In the previous panic in 2013, I don't remember that much of a rush on primers. Sometimes different types would be sold out but if you looked around they could usually be found. Interestingly back then, a lot of magazines sold out and today AR and AK magazines are readily available.

It has certainly become an issue here in NZ, especially for match primers. I think I got some of the very last 450s and Fed LR Match last week. Sure took some finding online.