Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Wildman
  • 3 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By gimp

Thread: Guess the MV of the TMK 130gn

Guess the MV of the TMK 130gn

My optimal load is 47gns of 2213sc (seems to be the point my brass likes)
    ELD-X 143gn = 2795ft/s
    ELD-M 140gn = 2885ft/s
    TMK 130gn = ???

That last one is a recent addition to the sierra line. Will i even get to 47gns in my load development? I'm starting back at 42gn just to be safe.
    Keen to see if the magic 3100fts can be cracked with a std 6.5x55 long barrel.

What's magic about 3100fps?
    veitnamcam, GWH, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Ever tried getting a decent long range vld up that fast in a swede?

Why would you want to?

There's the million dollar question.
    A: Why not.
    Flatter, less mil clicks at 1000m (gongs). I'd hit a wall in my quest to find the perfect setup for a 6.5x55, being lured into thinking the 140gn was almost mandatory for long range. The new 130gn vld types are here and on paper they are better (imo).

You are gunna need over 3200fps to get the less wind drift at 1000m with those 130TMKs vs the load you have for the 140 ELD-Ms.
    I'd stick with the ELDs, 2885fps from a standard 6.5x55 is pretty darn good.

If the new listed BC for the 140gr ELD-M is in fact .646, then I don't think any of the 130gr offering are going to better it, although they may come close enough for you to not be bothered by it.
    gimp, Dead is better and GWH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    on paper they are better (imo).
    if you can get 300fps more than a 140 out of them

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    if you can get 300fps more than a 140 out of them
    Dead set? Wow that's a lot. I hope i don't have to pull a stack of projectiles then. I should have begun at 40.gns. Prob won't need so much. 3200fts would be stupid fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    You are gunna need over 3200fps to get the less wind drift at 1000m with those 130TMKs vs the load you have for the 140 ELD-Ms.
    I'd stick with the ELDs, 2885fps from a standard 6.5x55 is pretty darn good.

If the new listed BC for the 140gr ELD-M is in fact .646, then I don't think any of the 130gr offering are going to better it, although they may come close enough for you to not be bothered by it.
    Isn't that funny. You get less elevation clicks but the same windage.... so 1000y is the crossover point which the eldm is catching the Sierra 130gn. Interesting.

Here's the next question: Would the ELD-M catch faster crosswind from being lobbed higher than the flatter flying Sierra? I've heard that wind speed picks up about one mph per meter of elevation (from what you test on the ground)

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Isn't that funny. You get less elevation clicks but the same windage.... so 1000y is the crossover point which the eldm is catching the Sierra 130gn. Interesting.

Here's the next question: Would the ELD-M catch faster crosswind from being lobbed higher than the flatter flying Sierra? I've heard that wind speed picks up about one mph per meter of elevation (from what you test on the ground)
    I'm not sure, but wouldn't be hard playing around in a ballistics calculator. The higher BC of the 140gr should mean that regardless of wind conditions it will have less wind drift, the only way you can get the lower BC projectile to match it is with more speed, but in this case it's likely not possible to get the speed from your 6.5x55 that you'd need.

For a long range shooter the less elevation isn't a huge gain, as elevation is the easiest to accurately measure and adjust for, less wind drift is the biggest thing to aim for. BUT, in saying all that, if you are able to get the 130 TMK or a 130VLD/ELD doing 3100fps, the ballistics of the 130gr my be close enough for the distances you typically shoot out too.

This is all assuming that the BC of the 140gr ELD-M is actually .646.
    Ballistics and the best bullet to use is a funny thing, and the best way to get a starting idea of what your gun will do is look online for other peoples loads and put them in a ballistics calculator. In your rifle the 140gr ELD-M may be the best choice, but someone else may have a short barrel .260 or a 6.5x47L and would find they lack the barrel length or case capacity to get the 140gr going fast enough, so the 130gr bullets would be a better choice.
    Dead is better likes this.

If you don't have enough barrel to get a 140 going fast enough you won't get a 130 going fast enough either
    Dead is better likes this.