Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Hammer Hunter Projectiles

Hammer Hunter Projectiles

Ive been interested in these projectiles for a while but they haven't been available for export from the US to here. But they are now.

https://hammerbullets.com

They are solid copper and lathed. Different to Barnes in so much as they are designed to shed their petals on expansion.

If you order some, make sure you order a decent amount because the freight on 100 is simply horrendous (USD68 I think).

So I ordered 100 117 grn .277 Hammer Hunters for my 270wsm (22" barrel).

Being so expensive I only loaded 7 test rounds using 2 different loads of R19. Both loads shot into .5" - one 3 shot group and one 2 shot - I saved a couple for the chrono.
    The highest charge (no pressure signs) chrono'd @ 3449 fps.

I could likely get more speed but Im very happy with that.

Now to do a final sight and validation using as few projectiles as I can and then see how they perform on deer.

@Kiwi Greg I think that you were interested?
    Kiwi Greg, Mooseman, 57jl and 3 others like this.

Gkp
    That's awesome, will be interested to hear how they perform.
    Tahr likes this.

Definitly be flat shooting at those speeds. @Tahr do they have a minimum speed for reliable expansion?
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    Definitly be flat shooting at those speeds. @Tahr do they have a minimum speed for reliable expansion?
    Ive read 1900fps
    wsm junkie likes this.

Been a few threads on Alberta outdoors forum, ive been looking at the 21gr .17 for my .17 fireball and hornet, just encase a chance presents its self, for a deer/goat, and I like to try the .358 cal 178gr, in my .358 win,
    The guys who bought the first few boxes into Alberta, seam to have reordered more, Nice that a small bullet manufacture is able to export, and give us another option.
    Tahr likes this.

Banned
    What is the advantage in them shedding weight like the Lehigh ? Wont that cause more internal organ damage but less shock wave ? A smaller expanded diameter than a mushroomed projectile due to petal loss and a pencil exit. Fine for a sub that doesn't produce a shock wave anyhow, but for a high velocity round ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    What is the advantage in them shedding weight like the Lehigh ? Wont that cause more internal organ damage but less shock wave ? A smaller expanded diameter than a mushroomed projectile due to petal loss and a pencil exit. Fine for a sub that doesn't produce a shock wave anyhow, but for a high velocity round ?
    You will need to do your own research on that. Reports are that they have a large exit and devastating organ damage.

Sound interesting be good to see the effect on animals. I read the other day that Barnes are starting to engineer losing the petals as they penetrate too. In theory you will have 4 small missiles and a large one going through an animal causing a lot of damage.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Only had a quick browse, but they look similar to the GS Custom projectiles already available here.
    Yeah Nah...

Other than turned copper they are quite different. The GS Custom projectile are fitted to the lands diameter with extended bands to fill out the grooves providing the seal. This reduces friction and pressure allowing increased velocity for the same pressure.

These look more akin to most conventional copper pills with recess grooves to reduce friction on a projection turned to barrel groove diameter. More grooves cut though than say a Barnes/GMX.
    7mmwsm likes this.

Banned
    From what I have been told the GS custom pills are a waste of time loaded in a friends 6.5 RWS. He persisted in a futile deerless effort to prove they were would work.

gs custom were being used to great effect in .22-250 by a certain well known author...... as for monos shedding petals...remington had 12ga sabots doing it 25 years ago.... round and round it goes.
    takbok likes this.

be very interesting to see if they kill FASTER than other loads....so far Ive shot grand total of 1 stag with barnes 110s...and bro in law got 2 chammy with 1 shot using same load and same rifle.....so farthey look good but not better than std cup n core loads,with exception being less recoil being lighter.

We will see.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    From what I have been told the GS custom pills are a waste of time loaded in a friends 6.5 RWS. He persisted in a futile deerless effort to prove they were would work.
    The diameter contact land to land is critical with the GS custom. If you don't get that right they are hard to get to shoot well. The barrel specs vary marginally with different manufacturers and GS Custom produce projectiles to suit.

Essentially a custom projectile. They shoot well when all the variations are sorted, if you can be bothered. I played with them and they worked well, but they tend to not like being interchanged with other pills and that didn't suit my budget.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Interesting Sydney. The GSC's were shot in a Blaser. Shot - ok - but just penciled through deer which always then needed shot again by another friend loaded with Partitions