Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Have you seen this before

dont think it will going by other fellas findings...the whole primer pocket is smaller.... keep us posted on how you get on.

I emailed Hornady and sent a couple of pics to see what they think/say will let you know.
    Micky Duck likes this.

make sure you keep a hold of some AS THEY ARE.....

Had a similar thing with vigin Norma brass and 210M. Struggled away for a few and then bent the rim on one of the cases while hand priming so switched to Winny LR and sweet as. Load shot better too.

I’ve had it with new and fired Norma 300WSM brass and Fed Mag primers. The worse bit is it makes it hard to measure COAL.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    see link I put up...ITS NOT CRIMP which was my first thought too,as Hornady have been crimping the superpreformance line and it seems to have carried over to other lines....these oddball cases are different...buggered if I can suss out where they got oddball primers from....unless whole shebang is a Chinese ripoff counterfeit nothing makes sense
    Even in the link you put up, the guy had a reply from Hornady saying the primer pockets were probably crimped.
    It might not be the problem, but it’s the most likely given several forum members have had that issue with Hornady brass.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Do you have a primer pocket swaging tool to try?
    sharps no 1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Even in the link you put up, the guy had a reply from Hornady saying the primer pockets were probably crimped.
    It might not be the problem, but it’s the most likely given several forum members have had that issue with Hornady brass.
    @Cigar...yeah we all THOUGHT THAT too...but Pete removed crimp TWICE....EG he really gave it arseholes and it didnt fix issue because the whole primer pocket was too small...crimp removal,usually with case mouth tool will put awesome taper on start of primer pocket...but that didnt work....
    Ive seen the crimp issue with hornady brass...but not this issue...there is something seriously WRONG going on here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    @40mm, awesome. Safety advice fromthe dude that builds what for a hobby?

If there is any doubt over them, the spec for large rifle and small rifle are freely available, measure the cases' pockets accurately and see what they measure out to. If they are out of spec (and the brass is definitely listed as reloadable) then it's not fit for purpose.
    Or you could grind the primers down a litttle bit.....
    hamsav, berg243 and Joe_90 like this.
    Use enough gun

I'd heard Hornady brass can be a bit hit and miss on QC? I try to stick to Lapua and Norma where possible, but did use some Hornady once fired-factory ammo in 7mmRM for a mate and it was good as gold.

Tight primer pockets will be made worse by using Federal primers (at least in LR/LRM) as they are 1 thou larger in diameter from memory and this can be helpful for tired primer pockets. I remember checking this a few years ago against CCI primers.

So are you seating primers with a reloading press..or a separate dedicated priming tool??

Just a tip for some in regards to crimped primer pockets, all that is required is a light deburring of the inside edge... I have had this heaps with factory loaded Fed 7RM and 308 brass and Lapua 308.

As stated the above doesnt look like crimped primers as there will be 3 distinctive crimp marks and I cant see them above

Name:  621B3161-9B81-42A3-9322-34FEA4C8E7D4.jpeg
Views: 229
Size:  2.81 MB

@Gibo there are a few different types of crimps I believe. Ring crimp not so obvious
    Name:  Screenshot_20210608-132107_Chrome.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  352.3 KB
    Kiwi Sapper and Jhon like this.

Iv had the exact problem in the past , it’s just a slight bur from the factory putting the primer in , to solve it I simply used my chamfer tool only takes 1 or 2 turns & good to go , just don’t take too much off.
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=le...5cPpZTO7ejJELM
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017