Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Hollow points or solids

Hollow points or solids

G'day, i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether copper plated hollow points (CCI Velocitors) or solid lead (CCI Standard Velocity) are better for headshooting goats with a .22lr Cheers.

Hollow points, no question.

If you do a bit of googling there’s a guy who has captured the terminal performance of different .22LR ammo, using a clay like substance to show how the wound cavities open up. The difference between a fast hollow point and a solid was like night and day.

That said I was culling several dozen sheep in the yards recently, crooks lambs, ewes and some really heavy old rams, and I used Standard Velocity with no issues. The difference being I guess that I was maybe 6-7m away and resting on a convenient post, with all the time I needed to make the shot count. If I was in the field I would want a fast hollow point.
    mudgripz likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

One thing to remember is that Standard Velocity will go straight through a goat’s head and out the other side. Always pays to make sure you’ve got a good backstop that isn’t another goat.
    Dama dama likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

the pre-fragmented hollow point are bloody great. one hole going in then the split into 3 pieces . magic on hares

Cheers for the info, i had been advised that hollow points were a waste of time and wouldn't penetrate the skull but from some of the research i've done and what you've said it sounds like the hollow points would be much deadlier, especially at longer ranges. How far do you reckon those velocitors would be deadly on a goat with a headshot? Also how would they go with a lung shot on a goat/yearling?
    Cheers

what are you shooting them out of, i'm a big cci fan but veloceters in a 10/22 just dont group

The velocitors loose speed rapidly, they aren't that accurate in some rifles. Personally I wouldn't think about it unless it had proved accurate. I have several semi 22s and none of them shoot it as well as std high veocity. One bolt action shoots it well but it's expensive and I don't see it has any advantage for me. I would only consider it if I had plenty of time to take to take the shot, the conditions were perfect and would consider 75 yds the max.
    Your target area is less than 1 1/2 inches and certain angles the horns can act as deflectors.
    From behind at the Atlas joint is probably the best presentation.
    The bullet follows a "bit of a curve" and with a 50 yd zero its dropped about 4 inches at 100 so you have to be precise with your range and holdovers.
    I'm not a fan of body shooting goats with the long rifle it hasn't got not enough grunt, and no ethical shooter would do it.
    If you want rimfire consider the 22 wmr or better still get a 223, then you won't have to worry about bullet drop or wallop factor till past 200 yards
    Just my 2 c

northdude
    I use cci std vel solids never had a problem it's all about shot placement
    woods223 and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatiriHunter View Post
    G'day, i'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on whether copper plated hollow points (CCI Velocitors) or solid lead (CCI Standard Velocity) are better for headshooting goats with a .22lr Cheers.
    A .22LR isn't a humane killer for a goat sized animal. The margin of error is huge and things can turn ugly really fast.
    mudgripz, rockland and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    A .22LR isn't a humane killer for a goat sized animal. The margin of error is huge and things can turn ugly really fast.
    I have to agree they’re a bit borderline but with close range careful shots should be OK.

Saw on that topic in Aussie hunting magazine: ‘a larger goat has the same body weight as a leopard, how keen would you be to take on a leopard with a 22?’
    Moa Hunter likes this.

northdude
    Difference being a goat probably wont try and eat you if you require a follow up shot you just have to realize the 22lrs limitations I quite enjoy creeping in as close as you can and waiting for the right shot to present itself mind you it's not that hard with goats
    veitnamcam likes this.

I'm shooting out of a Cz455 target barrel with a gunworks suppressor

Bit late to consider other rifles as i've already blown all my coin on a .22, i've got a 50 pack of velocitors and i'll see how it groups, im going for a hunt next weekend so want to get some ammo sorted before then.

Yeah getting in close on goats is dead easy, i went for a hunt on saturday and we walked straight past a mob of 20 goats about 5 yards away from us and they didnt even look up! Could have poleaxed a couple but we were waiting for pigs and didnt want to queer the place.

Caretaker
    For head shooting goats with a .22 rimfire use the solid nosed projectiles
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time