Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JaSa
  • 1 Post By WessCG
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal

Thread: Hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass

Hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass

Hey everyone. Trying to find some once fired hornady brass. Want to go to some matches and not worry about loosing my lapua brass .

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I have about a 100

Need to count them

$1 each

Cheers mate. I’m a little on the fence at the moment as to if I should just stick with lapua or not for the comp gun . But will keep you in mind once I make my mind up.

You’d be nuts to not use the Lapua brass. It’s much better quality - specifically much stronger and more consistent- than the Hornady.

The Hornady is also very soft and will be done in 6-7 firings max, some guys get just 3 or 4 firings out of it. Whereas the Lapua is practically indestructible as long as you’re not silly with the loads (assuming it’s small primer). There are lots of documented instances of 20+ firings on record with the Lapua.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    You’d be nuts to not use the Lapua brass. It’s much better quality - specifically much stronger and more consistent- than the Hornady.

The Hornady is also very soft and will be done in 6-7 firings max, some guys get just 3 or 4 firings out of it. Whereas the Lapua is practically indestructible as long as you’re not silly with the loads (assuming it’s small primer). There are lots of documented instances of 20+ firings on record with the Lapua.
    Hard to reload 20 times when you lose it on the first is I think his point

The Hornady is also very soft and will be done in 6-7 firings max, some guys get just 3 or 4 firings out of it.
    12x and counting here.
    Not annealed and still SD in single digits with zero split necks so can't really fault them for the price and if I loose one while hunting - no big deal.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Hard to reload 20 times when you lose it on the first is I think his point
    Ah I see. How do you lose brass at a match?

Is it one of those running around ones?
    Just...say...the...word

Yeah I think I’ll go with lapua and just make sure I pick up as much as I can, bound to loose a few but no different to hunting or pest control. I am using 6.5 creedmoor SRP so hopefully do get heaps of reloads. I notice when I trim them to spec I get very little to no brass shavings but my .308 in lapua brass I get a heap of shavings of when I trim. Good pro for the creedmoor
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaSa View Post
    12x and counting here.
    Not annealed and still SD in single digits with zero split necks so can't really fault them for the price and if I loose one while hunting - no big deal.
    My first box is up to 12 firings as well. Great value for money!
    WessCG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    My first box is up to 12 firings as well. Great value for money!
    Interesting @Steelisreal and @JaSa... I stand corrected! It’s an interesting one because everything I’ve read about recycled Hornady factory brass has focused on its short lifespan. For instance the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum is full of it. Then my cuz sent me some 6.5 CM info with stuffed cases after I think 4 firings. I’m wondering if this is because of his choice of stout loads which I have no doubt are above book max, like mine.

anyway I’m glad you are getting good life out of yours and maybe next time I should be more cautious about regurgitating what I’ve either read or someone else has told me....
    Just...say...the...word

Moderate sizing with realistic loads makes brass last a long time, yes.

Interesting @Steelisreal and @JaSa... I stand corrected! It’s an interesting one because everything I’ve read about recycled Hornady factory brass has focused on its short lifespan. For instance the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum is full of it. Then my cuz sent me some 6.5 CM info with stuffed cases after I think 4 firings. I’m wondering if this is because of his choice of stout loads which I have no doubt are above book max, like mine.

anyway I’m glad you are getting good life out of yours and maybe next time I should be more cautious about regurgitating what I’ve either read or someone else has told me....
    Oops - misread the post by @JaSa. I thought he was referring to Lapua brass - my bad.

I bought Lapua for my Creedmoor - it's great value once you get a lot of use out of it! It sure stings when you first buy it ��

I only have Hornady factory brass - never annealed (planing to build an annealer as a project though) - started with 1 box of the cheap white tail stuff, haven't had an issue yet at least 10 loads on that, added a second box of the same when I picked up my Predator - and just added a box of precision hunter.
    Not a competitor but it has never let me down - brought a box of Hornady virgin brass as well - might as well keep it all the same - havent loaded that yet.

Load Hornady projectiles - have tried a few different ones - 123, 129, 140, 143. AR2209 powder, CCI primers.