Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By FourtyFour

Thread: Hornady Case Prep Centre Misaligned

Hornady Case Prep Centre Misaligned

I have a Hornady power case prep centre. I purchased it years ago and have been fighting with it ever since. The biggest issue is that the shell holder isn't aligned with the cutting head so when you lower a case it trims it at an angle. The pilot meant I didn't detect this initially. Searching other forums the only suggestion I have found that made any difference is to not lock in the case until the case mouth is well over the pilot but still it isn't level.

My question is whether anyone else has run into this or fixed it? Or does one give up and get a Forster manual trimmer or like.

I would ring Steve's wholesale and see if they could do anything with it.
    Did you buy it of a shop as it was obviously like that from new.
    They are pretty bomb proof I would have thought

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Thanks for the replies. It was an issue from new. After watching 100 videos and reading everything I can, I have concluded that they are just made that way. Perhaps mine is out by a bit more but if you watch any video, you will see the brass never comes down flush onto the pilot - the pilot literally pulls the round into place creating an angle on the trim. If I had thought about it the design has basically zero chance of precision alignment. No issue for most hunting scenario's but if you are trying to see just how accurate you can be the Wilson trimmer seems the solution. A lot slower but a lot more consistent with that.

Now the question is where do you stop? Redding dies vs RCBS. Lapua brass vs Hornady.

Its good to have something else

"Now the question is where do you stop? Redding dies vs RCBS. Lapua brass vs Hornady.
    Its good to have something else" - go as far down the rabbit hole as you want to/can afford/can be bothered with/find a result you're satisfied with and move on...

It's a fascinating past-time and very satisfying when you can shoot a PB on the range or pull off a perfect shot on an animal with a rifle/ammo combo you've tuned to the task.

The Wilson is the way to go i really like mine, keeping it simple is the best less to go wrong.

I use WFT2 (Worlds finest trimmer) in a few different calibres.

Simple, quick, accurate for when time is money.... (you can thank me later )

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/st...mers-c31402021

@FourtyFour how do you find the consistency with it? Just had a squiz on YouTube and it looks pretty good

Lee quick trim dies are the way to go. Cheap, consistent, foolproof and do a great job. I think often people overlook certain things because they seem to think they don't cost enough to be any good.
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

@charliehorse consistency is very good. Set up is easy (just keep a case that is the right size) and its fast.

No hand cranking, locking the base in etc

Nice thing is it sizes on the shoulder rather than the base so you only need the bush for parent case to trim all the variants ie 308 will do 3006, 7-08, 260, 243 etc
    charliehorse likes this.

Is anyone bringing them into NZ, Or do they need to come direct?

I just bought them in from Little Crow, there was something funny about ordering only via credit card for international shipping.

Emailed and they said its all good, they need to update website.

Just check now and couldnt see it so maybe sorted.
    They are well made and simple. Shipping cost for a housing and a few bushes was good (although slow, havent had them too long...). Thought about bringing a few in but couldnt be bothered...someone should for a side hustle, although the way the USD is its not a problem getting them on your own which is why I didnt really

Have seen WFT original new on trademe recently

Oh, I bought a spare carbide cutter while I was at it

i'd offer to buy it off you cheap and have a play but once i saw how much they are thought better of it

The rabbit hole is deep. Made the mistake of getting a gauge to measure runout. Now I have redding dies and, and, and.

Lapua brass is fascinating how much more consistent it is than (e.g.) Hornady.

Annealing is a cost I have avoided so far. Matter of time.

New thing is to measure powder (RCBS) automatically to within a grain and finish with a trickler. A youtube video showed that results are more consistent so it must be true.