Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Hornady filled in the gaps !!

Hornady filled in the gaps !!

I am testing the 135gr A-Tip at the moment in my 6.5CM vs the 143gr ELD-X (CLICK).

0.45 MOA vs 0.46 MOA for double the price? At this stage I will wait for the price to come down and do some testing on a few goats in the meantime to see how they kill...

I hope they expand and or fragment.....Too exciting to be a target only projectile.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by JaSa View Post
    I am testing the 135gr A-Tip at the moment in my 6.5CM vs the 143gr ELD-X (CLICK).

0.45 MOA vs 0.46 MOA for double the price? At this stage I will wait for the price to come down and do some testing on a few goats in the meantime to see how they kill...
    Decent BC for the lower weight projectile.
    Those that crave speed will love them if they're accurate.

If it's speed you want revisit the French THV (tres haute vitesse )
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Cool looking bullet , you would think that they would open as aluminium is a soft metal .Would be interesting to see how they go

R93
    One of the most devistating bullets I used when meat shooting iirc was the Winchester silver tip.

Wasn't high BC or anything but killed really well.... Too well. Made an unnecessary mess.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Tuidog and dannyb like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

DLW
    Any one know when they could be here? The a 250gr projectile in a 300 win mag or rum would be interesting

I think its the Gunwerks channel on YT that has tested the A-Tip on pronghorn. Big exit hole, predictable deadness. 800m or something like that.

Honestly can't see the point of using these for anything other than genuine long range, i.e. 750m+ on targets or otherwise. Up to 750m or thereabouts, the ELDs do a good enough job, for me at least.
    DLW and kiwi303 like this.
    Just...say...the...word

At the moment I am with Flyblown - especially at the price tag. Or if you only shoot a couple of rounds a year then it doesn't really matter I guess?

Working 0.05 off the lands best, which means they are way (!) too long for the magazine. Tried to load them so they would just fit in the mag but no luck and horrible group...

The red tips are the 143gr ELD-X in comparison to the 135gr A-Tip's

Done some more testing on the 135gr A-Tip's.
    Killing power is good on goats from 50m to 500m. Most of the time you get an exit wound. Pretty messy inside and even if there should be no exit on larger animal it would be hard to get away with lungs and heart turned into red liquid. Would definitely recommend to avoid hitting shoulder bones though. Jacket and core separate usually which is to be expected being a match bullet I guess?

43gr of AR2209
    Average speed in 20" Bergara for 9 shots: 2698 ft/s
    Extreme spread: 26 ft/s
    SD: 8 ft/s

Being the faster bullet with a better BC vs the ELD-X 143gr it needs less dialing and delivers more energy on target. But will stay with the ELD-X for now as slightly more accurate now that I have more groupings to compare, lower price and (maybe) better performance on larger animals?
    Anyone else tried them out there?

Quote Originally Posted by JaSa View Post
    Done some more testing on the 135gr A-Tip's.
    Killing power is good on goats from 50m to 500m. Most of the time you get an exit wound. Pretty messy inside and even if there should be no exit on larger animal it would be hard to get away with lungs and heart turned into red liquid. Would definitely recommend to avoid hitting shoulder bones though. Jacket and core separate usually which is to be expected being a match bullet I guess?

43gr of AR2209
    Average speed in 20" Bergara for 9 shots: 2698 ft/s
    Extreme spread: 26 ft/s
    SD: 8 ft/s

Being the faster bullet with a better BC vs the ELD-X 143gr it needs less dialing and delivers more energy on target. But will stay with the ELD-X for now as slightly more accurate now that I have more groupings to compare, lower price and (maybe) better performance on larger animals?
    Anyone else tried them out there?
    I would very much like to see some autopsy photos if you could be so kind?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Hmm makes you wonder what size hole those big 30 cals would leave ? Wonder how those 110 6mms would go ? ,would sure make the old 243 an interesting option or if chasing speed a 6mm/284 would be a hummer with them . Yes i to would be keen to see some autopsy pics too ,thanks

Interesting, I wonder how a 375 H&H with a 390 gr might go, pretty good I reckon.

with the Alum tip extending the overall length of the projectile,,,, wont this create more problems with
    magazine fit" when trying to achieve a seating close to the lands?