Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: Hornady Lock n Load press

R93

Hornady Lock n Load press

I have had this press for just over 3 years and just loaded my 25,000th round thru it.
    Thought I would jot down my experiences with it so far.

I have loaded 9mm, mostly 40 S&W, 357, 38 special, 223 and 308 with this press using various powders. Even trailboss.
    It is scary on reflection of how many dollars have been pumped thru this press but is still nothing in comparison to some shooters I know. And I do load mostly pistol ammo for a few mates.

I have spent between $100-150 on parts due to breakages and having spares. I also have a spare powder thrower.
    The below pic has all parts worn or broken in the time I have had it.

I have broken the plastic primer guide, rod holder several times. No idea why they don't make a metal one as this imo is the flimsiest part of the press and first thing to wear out.

I would say it took me a few thousand rounds to get a feel for the press and recognising faults with it, before they happened and saving on breakages.

I can load close to 500 rnds an hour with it, not having a case or bullet feeder.
    The powder thrower is amazing on this thing throwing within .1 + or - with most powders I have used. So medium range accuracy with rifle calibers can be relied upon.

To change caliber all you have to do is change the shell plate, dies and adjust the thrower to desired charge and away you go. Pretty simple to run and reasonably fast once you have a good system.

I think the press owes me close to $1600 from when I purchased it, along with shell plates, spare thrower and spares (you should get a few essential ones in kit)
    If you already have dies, shell plates cost around $80 to load a particular caliber.

Have to say I am very happy with this press. I was talked into buying it by a bloke that runs dillions exclusively.

Not saying it is a better press than any other out there at all but I do think it is cheaper than say a dillion in the long run if you plan to load several calibers.

Oh and its frame is built like a tank.

Maybe some food for thought for anyone looking to buy a carousel press in order to fuel their passion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

500 rounds an hour without a casefeeder is hauling arse!
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    500 rounds an hour without a casefeeder is hauling arse!
    Probably should add on the time for filling the primer feed but I have a system and a sore left arm at the end of it

R93
    To be fair I don't think about cost until I have to replace components that I buy in bulk.
    You tend to forget the cost of those components in the time it takes to extinguish them

My right arm never suffers as it only cranks the press handle. Very smooth when press is setup right. It is self indexing.

My left gets sore picking up a projectile and case in a manner I can feed the press quickly.

I never used a progressive much before buying this one so learnt everything on the go. It is not as daunting as you would expect.
    Can be when something goes wrong, which is rare, but it is a pretty simple system to nut out.

berg243 likes this.

I brought one of these last year too. I directly imported it from Natchez in the US. Shipping was near NZ$200, but all up including customs etc was around the NZ$900 mark. Plus Hornady had a promotion at the time for 500 free projectiles (the selection was was rubbish, but had 500 30 cal softpoint shipped to a mate in the US for him to use).

Have loaded around 7,000 40S&W rounds and maybe 150 260 rounds after getting a selection of shell plates while in the US in December.

Really happy with it and around the same volume at @R93 for the pistol rounds. Also, I do NOT have a case or bullet feeder. I will build another bullet feeder myself soon.

Haven't broken any parts yet (but likely this will now happen tomorrow). The powder thrower is amazing. Even loading the 260 with it at 43.5gn (+/- 0.1gn).

The main advantage over the Dillon for ME is the speed and how easy it is to change calibre and even from pistol to rifle.
    R93 likes this.

R93
    Far out that's a good deal on the press
    I now have a new place to get spares

Yeah I should have pointed out that any speed is only when loading pistol ammo. 40 especially.

I take my time with 223 ammo because I do not have a powder check die for rifle cals and check levels visually.

dannyb likes this.

I had the earlier model and it was good but it was a pain in the arse kicking the cases out. Sold it and went to a Dillon 650. Much better with the case feeder. BUT didn't have the primer "feel" the way the Hornady did.
    unfortunately I sold my Hornady about 3 months before they brought out the new model/upgrade for the old model.