Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryg

Thread: Hornady M2 scales power supply

Hornady M2 scales power supply

I have just got hold of one of the newer m2 scales from hornady. It came with a 240v power adapter but not to suit our Nz plug
    Was brought here and came in sealed box
    Has anyone else got one or a solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you buy from a private sale or through a NZ dealer
    jakewire likes this.
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
    Did you buy from a private sale or through a NZ dealer
    Brought from the Nz dealership
    Only just the box. I will call them on Monday just seeing if anyone else came across this

You need the nz plug to fit that power supply, it is rated 110v to 230 so no problem.
    That round plug is a 230v french Plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    You need the nz plug to fit that power supply, it is rated 110v to 230 so no problem.
    Just hope I can get hold of one

Quote Originally Posted by LTHunter View Post
    Just hope I can get hold of one

Or just buy an adaptor, it will work fine as it is multi voltage

Gone but not forgotten
    You can get adapters at any travel type store - try somewhere like Kathmandu

Quote Originally Posted by LTHunter View Post
    Brought from the Nz dealership
    Only just the box. I will call them on Monday just seeing if anyone else came across this

if it was a NZ dealership should come with a NZ plug
    "you belong somewhere you feel free"-Tom Petty

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Name:  shit electrics.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  20.4 KB
    available anywhere
    I bought a Frankford Armory scale through NZ dealer
    They supplied plug.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Electrician here.

What has previously been stated about adapters is correct, it will run off 240v without issue. If you don’t have any success with the dealer you purchased through, the adapter that Jakewire has posted a photo of or similar would be your first option.

If you have any other power supply plugs in your house that output 9vdc that would be an option too. Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the output plug is the same as the uniden charger plug.

If you are a purist that prefers not to use an adapter I have one or two spare 9v supplies that may work that you can have for free, we will be able to determine if they fit before I send them.

One other option is to get a universal power supply as per below.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBP...IaAgG7EALw_wcB

Not recommended but if needed as a means to an end, in theory you could twist the plug prongs with a crescent or a pair of pliers so that each is at ~45 degrees so they fit an nz plug. You would want to twist as closely as possible to the body of the plug as you can without twisting the prongs off. This action would probably be irreversible.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Electrician here.

What has previously been stated about adapters is correct, it will run off 240v without issue. If you don’t have any success with the dealer you purchased through, the adapter that Jakewire has posted a photo of or similar would be your first option.

If you have any other power supply plugs in your house that output 9vdc that would be an option too. Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the output plug is the same as the uniden charger plug.

If you are a purist that prefers not to use an adapter I have one or two spare 9v supplies that may work that you can have for free, we will be able to determine if they fit before I send them.

One other option is to get a universal power supply as per below.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBP...IaAgG7EALw_wcB

Not recommended but if needed as a means to an end, in theory you could twist the plug prongs with a crescent or a pair of pliers so that each is at ~45 degrees so they fit an nz plug. You would want to twist as closely as possible to the body of the plug as you can without twisting the prongs off. This action would probably be irreversible.
    Yes If I can’t get one from the dealer I will probably get an adapter.
    Bit nervous about getting a new plug as I have heard the scales can be sensitive to interference. Or is that not a big deal

In theory the smoother the power supply the better. However the one you have is a switch mode power supply, basically not at all smooth. If you connected it to an appropriately rated lamp, the lamp would probably flash on and off. That is what the dashed line between the 9.0V and the 1.0A on the plug indicates. Do not worry about it though. There will be circuitry inside your scales to deal with this.

Getting a new plug won’t make 1/10 of a grain of difference. The only thing to ensure is that the new plug has a 9v output with a rating of at least 1A

Best practice is to switch on your scales 20-30 minutes before use, this will help them settle and stabilise, but once again it probably won’t make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    In theory the smoother the power supply the better. However the one you have is a switch mode power supply, basically not at all smooth. If you connected it to an appropriately rated lamp, the lamp would probably flash on and off. That is what the dashed line between the 9.0V and the 1.0A on the plug indicates. Do not worry about it though. There will be circuitry inside your scales to deal with this.

Getting a new plug won’t make 1/10 of a grain of difference. The only thing to ensure is that the new plug has a 9v output with a rating of at least 1A

Best practice is to switch on your scales 20-30 minutes before use, this will help them settle and stabilise, but once again it probably won’t make much difference.
    Thank you that helps and clarifies a lot of what I thought
    Can’t wait to try it out