Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hornady seating die

Hornady seating die

Hoarnady in-line seating dies, yay or nay? https://reloadingdirect.co.nz/shop/r...y-seating-die/

Very happy with mine you can also by a microjust seater adjuster upgrade for them which is nice
    #DANNYCENT

These come in Hornady die sets. I'm happy with mine.

I like a few features on Hornady dies, mostly hunting rounds but still trying to get the best out of what I have.

Thanks all. I'vebeen looking at youtube videos and other forums but nothing highly educational. I've been using a lee seating die but having runout problems, bought a lyman m die to help solve that problem, haven't used it yet but don't have much faith in the lee die so looking to upgrade my seating die. The hornady die with the sliding insert to keep bullet and case inline seems like a good idea. Theres no lyman, redding or rcbs dies in the calibre I need so hornady seems the only option. Thought I ask for opinions before I folk out $$$.
    dannyb likes this.

I brought one after trying some mods on my lee seating die failed. Brought the eldm stem for it as well. I don't measure runout so my experience is probably worthless to you.
    dannyb likes this.

I also don't measure runout, but I do like the fact you can buy the eldm stem as well.
    I certainly have no issues loading very very accurate ammo with mine
    #DANNYCENT

Works for me and i have micro seater adjust too.
    dannyb likes this.

As above, Hornady seater with the micro stem is as good as my Forster Ultra Seaters and less than half the price.
    dannyb likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

@charliehorse @dannyb I don't measure runout neither, I merely want bullets visibly straight, my lee die seats them a little crooked.
    charliehorse likes this.

I’d get the micro adjustment makes them awesome iv had issue with the seating depth walking otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    @charliehorse @dannyb I don't measure runout neither, I merely want bullets visibly straight, my lee die seats them a little crooked.
    I use both Hornady and Lee dies, when seating I do it in steps first I sit the projectile in the case and raise the ram till the projectile makes contact with the inside of the die and then give it a couple gentle taps (not enough to seat just enough to level the projectile, then I wil start to seat maybe 1/6th of the way, drop the ram back down and turn the case about 1/4 turn then repeat the process until fully seated. This will help with run out and help to seat your bullets straight.
    I do this with both Lee and Hornady dies as I learnt this way and its just habit even though its probably not necessary with the Hornady dies it certainly won't hurt.
    #DANNYCENT

Being thinking the same for my RCBS seating die but they don't - I think - have a vld seating stem option.
    dannyb likes this.

So whats the actual cost comparison to gettin the Hornady die plus the micro adjustable seater plus the VLD stem compared to the Forster micro die. That comes with it all already?
    If you can get it in your caliber?
    Or for that matter a Wilson inline die with micro adjustable top..... that you can have reamed to your chambering if thats an issue.

Any die with a sleeve such as what you have mentioned will help if your existing die seats them visibly crooked. ,,,,, maybe your stem is bent? and that would be a lot easier replacement than a whole die.
    Last edited by johnd; 17-03-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Microjust-$70
    VLD stem-$30
    Die-$58
    Total: $158

Dunno what Forster/wilson dies cost but I'll bet its more than that.
    I've also had the stem from Lee seating die matched to eldx projectiles in the past from Gunworks was like $20 and worth the effort as the original was marking the projectiles as all the pressure was on one point due to the shape.
    Back to the original question is a Hornady die with all the accessories worthwhile ?, I'd say yes, is it as good as a Forster/Wilson ?, who knows but it's certainly bloody good and a fair whack cheaper.
    #DANNYCENT

@dannyb good to know, thanks.
    dannyb likes this.