Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring
  • 1 Post By Tribrit
  • 2 Post By rewa

Thread: Hornady SST 6.5 mm 123gr v 129 gr

Hornady SST 6.5 mm 123gr v 129 gr

Hornady produce the SST in 123 and 129 grains in 6.5 mm, which has the best terminal performance when used on fallow sized animals at .260/6.5 Creedmore velocities? Any other advantages of one over the other?

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I think you will find that the 123gr is designed for 6.5 Grendel and velocities there of....2300-2400fps. I'd be opting for the 129gr for the bigger case cartridges.
    outdoorlad and Kiwi Greg like this.

I have plenty of 123gns if you want some to trial.

Now that my 6.5 Grendel is due to be destroyed.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Use the 129gn they kill very well.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Thanks for the responses, I’ll stick with the 129 grain bullets which have been very effective. The higher bc of the 123 grain looked attractive.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I've loaded about 25 123gr SST at 2,900fps for my 6.5 CM specifically for fallow. They're for lung not shoulder shots. Haven't had a chance to use them on the little deer yet. The last two fallow I plugged were with the 143gr ELD-X which hardly expanded even though both dropped on the spot.
    rewa likes this.

Last fallow i shot was with a 178gr ELDX out of my 3006. I didnt need to cook it, it already was.
    Husky1600 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    I've loaded about 25 123gr SST at 2,900fps for my 6.5 CM specifically for fallow. They're for lung not shoulder shots. Haven't had a chance to use them on the little deer yet. The last two fallow I plugged were with the 143gr ELD-X which hardly expanded even though both dropped on the spot.
    I went to 120's because of pass-throughs (140's), all dead, but didnt want to risk it. 120's are brilliant, the faster the better, be surprised if you're not impressed when you try them. 0-300m is great, way better expansion at 300 than 140's.
    10-Ring and Moa Hunter like this.

I be killed two fallow does with one shot using the 6.5 mm, 120 gn ballistic tip projectile in my 260. They have plenty of speed, penetration and efficacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk