Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 2 Post By rigga
  • 1 Post By rigga
  • 1 Post By rigga

Thread: Hornady Vmax 224 55gr problem

Hornady Vmax 224 55gr problem

G'day all i'm just wondering if any of you blokes with 22-250 shoot Vmax 55gr lately the reason I ask is I've just gone to a new batch and instead of them exploding inside the feral i'm getting complete pass through now I've used these for yonks and never had a pass through any feral even down to about a 3kg animal until this last new batch out of the 6 ferals I've shot in the last 2 weeks 5 have been complete pass throughs this is unusual and not what I want them to do because the animal runs for a short distance and my new knees don't allow me to follow but so far all animals have been found dead but still why are these new projectiles doing this they are supposed to be the same ( They are Vmax after all ) I have heard on the grape vine that Hornady have thickened the shell of the projectile but no proof of that so just wondering if any of you blokes have any info on them Cheers ( Note I've tried to contact Hornady but so far can't raise any0ne )

will watch this with interest....

What “freaks” are you shooting to get the pass through?
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Fucking autospell!!!

I meant “ferals”... what “Ferals” are your shooting to get pass through?

Interesting. Using these in .223, have been alright up till now but started new box of projectiles recently and had three out of three pass throughs on goats last weekend. Was wandering what was up and was going to try some more this week-end. Using in reduced loads, 1750 fps. Usually use Hornady 55 SP so not too worried.
    Last edited by woods223; 28-11-2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: mis print

G'day Seventenths mate I contract shoot feral/wild dogs for the farmers and council they do a lot of damage over here killing domestic dogs and anything worth eating to them yes I've used the Vmax I think since they come out I've worn out 2 barrels on 22-250 and 1 on 22-250 AI with only the Vmax has been a very reliable bullet till this batch so still looking into them if I can't find an answer then i'll have no choice but to go to another brand with similar traits as the old Vmax not looking forward to that but will have to because I get too close to farm houses at times and to have complete pass throughs is too unsafe for all concerned
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.

Certainly sounds like you have a 22-250 fetish

I've used the 55 gr v-maxs in .223 on deer (sika) and goats with good results but that was a few years ago and certainly not at 22-250 speeds but I am using 50 gr v-maxs in my .222 for little furry bunnies and wallabies.

Hopefully everything pans out and its just a lemon or two you've shot as I know it's a pain in the ass to switch over to another projectile you've grown fond of!

Mickyduck has been using Hornady "z-max" projectiles so maybe their worth a thought should worse come to worse as I believe they have a thinner copper wall for faster expansion but I stand to be corrected?

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Certainly sounds like you have a 22-250 fetish

I've used the 55 gr v-maxs in .223 on deer (sika) and goats with good results but that was a few years ago and certainly not at 22-250 speeds but I am using 50 gr v-maxs in my .222 for little furry bunnies and wallabies.

Hopefully everything pans out and its just a lemon or two you've shot as I know it's a pain in the ass to switch over to another projectile you've grown fond of!

Mickyduck has been using Hornady "z-max" projectiles so maybe their worth a thought should worse come to worse as I believe they have a thinner copper wall for faster expansion but I stand to be corrected?
    I use those Z Max’s in my 22-250 and their really good and cheap but unfortunately I think they’ve been discontinued. Pretty much identical to vmax but $130 for 500 50grainers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yip Im using the 500 pack 50grn with good results on wallabies down to small rabbits...they certainly ARENT holding together..... lovely terminal preformance.

Yeah Seventenths I do like the 22-250 but it suits me for the size animal I cull 243 is a little over kill for what I do 223 is a little under powered for me but on saying that both the 243 and 223 are excellent calibers but I've found for me the 22-250 is excellent its a mod 85 sako I run only 55gr Vmax with 31.6 gr of Benchmark 2 for 3414 fps I looked at my diary and the rifle has had 3600rds through it and still shoots 1/2''moa it used to shoot 7 shots into a 5 cent piece @100yds it hasn't had any fliers yet so the barrel is still ok its just a bitch this has happened with the Vmax
    Micky Duck likes this.

Rigga, that’s awesome for 3600 rounds & still great accuracy!

How many dogs do you shoot?

What cases do you use?How many reloads do you get out of a case?

I know a few people who use the 22-250 solely for deer

50 quid to a knob of camel turd speer 52grn or 50 grn hp flat base would give you similar terminal effects....if this batch isnt just a one off. be a right bastard to have to retweak such a proven load.....but if it has to be done you have plenty of options...chin up chap.

Well Seventenths it can differ from dry to wet normally in try times it's best for dogs they get on the move with a fixed number it would be 90 -110 per yr continuously but can be more or less in wet times depending on rain I can get 40-60 continuously, one year I had more farmers requiring me and I shot 219 for the 12mths but mind you its not always like that it's take what you can get I use Winchester brass but the last batch wasn't real good they had carbon inclusion in them looked like fly shit pushed into the brass and I don't like putting them in the rifle like that so I give them a run in the tumbler for 2hrs that cleans them up but all extra work I normally get around 9 firings because 31.6gr is the low end of the scale in the ADI reload manual also I only neck them until they get tight to chamber I anneal the necks every 3 loadings it took a lot of trial and error over the years and this is the best formula I've found I even do the same with my 7mm rem mag it's reasonably new so i'm only on my third firing on the brass I still only neck the brass I use Norma brass for it

Yes Micky Duck there's probably a few projectiles out there that would do the job but Geez I don't want to mess with them now with so many rounds through the rifle but if and when I rebarrel i'll be looking for a different projectile then
    Micky Duck likes this.