Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Is this hot for a .270? Newbie reloading advice.

Is this hot for a .270? Newbie reloading advice.

Hi guys,

Im new to reloading and have recently developed a load for my .270win under the guidance of my brother. Just wanting your opinions because after having a look on the web I havent found any one else using as high a charge as me in this powder (wondering if my brother is as experienced as he makes out?.

Rifle: Sako A7 24inch barrel
    Powder type: AR2209
    Powder weight: 57.5 grains
    Projectile: 130 grain hornady SST
    MV: 3080 fps
    Primer: Remington
    Brass: Federal

We started the load ladder at 50 grains and worked up in 0.5 grain increments checking for pressure signs (there were non). Ended up finding a sweet spot in accuracy at 57.5gr and was happy with MV. What do you guys thing, max recommended load is 54-55.3 (depending on which book) so we are way over but no pressure signs at all.

Cheers,
    Dawg

It’s certainly a warm load, generally you’d expect around 3050 from a 130gn pill, depends how accurate the chrony is? If you worked the load up in cold temps just be a little mindful of shooting it in hot summer temps, it may need to be backed off a bit? Some factory rifles have slightly larger chambers than test rifles used to come up with load data so you need to go “over book” to achieve the same speed.
    Dawg, takbok and rewa like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Thanks @outdoorlad I will try them in the chrony again tomorrow to double check MV's, but I think it is relatively accurate (factory hornady super performance 130gr SST's were 3050fps).

I may look at backing the load off slightly, particularly after hearing temp may increase pressures.

Cheers,

Dawg

guessing your rifle has a long throat/lead ..... each rifle is different and will handle different pressures,mine is happy a couple of grains above book max but I ve worked up to that carefully over a lot of years...definately check load in warmer weather with caution. if you getting same/similar speed to superpreformance you can pretty much say your pressure is getting up there as those loads are close to edge of envelope...eg a lot of guys cant macth speed with reload and SOME rifles show excess pressure with them.
    Dawg and rewa like this.

I have ADI reloading manuals that go back over many years, the max loads for many powders has been backed off by a considerable margin from the early days.
    Dawg and rewa like this.

Banned
    I think I was at 54gr 2209 when I was shooting true 7mm.
    Everything 130gr kept same POI and 110gr and 150gr moved up and down vertically while keeping in line horizontally. Most curious...none of my other cals have been that easy.
    The sst can be a bit brittle up close in 270
    Shearer, Dawg and Micky Duck like this.

Book maximums are always conservative. 3080fps is not extraordinary for a 130gn pill in the 270win with a 24" barrel so if you are not getting any pressure signs (stiff bolt lift etc) then I don't see a problem. As @outdoorlad pointed out ambient temperature can make a difference but I have never heard of 2209 being prone to marked temperature instability either. Just get out hunting.
    Dawg likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Book maximums are always conservative. 3080fps is not extraordinary for a 130gn pill in the 270win with a 24" barrel
    Not considering some factory ammo has them going 3250fps..

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Shearer and SGR like this.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitely retest them though the chrony and keep a close eye for any pressure signs. Next test will be to see how they go on deer!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Shearer likes this.

2213SC is also a good powder .
    tetawa, Shearer and Dawg like this.

Yea its pretty slow for a 130gr load with that much pressure, you would be better off switching to 2213sc or N560 and running at least that fast or more with less pressure
    Dawg likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    Look up Moosemans loads with 140 grnrs and Superformance and you may choose a new path to enlightenment. I wouldn't panic too much about your loads if you don't have pressure signs. For years (1960's) everyone used 60 grns of IMR 4831 in their 270's now all of a sudden loads like that are way too hot in the manuals.
    tetawa, Dawg and rewa like this.

Banned
    Amen to brother Mooseman
    Dawg and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Look up Moosemans loads with 140 grnrs and Superformance and you may choose a new path to enlightenment. I wouldn't panic too much about your loads if you don't have pressure signs. For years (1960's) everyone used 60 grns of IMR 4831 in their 270's now all of a sudden loads like that are way too hot in the manuals.
    Yes my load for the 145 Gr ELD X at 57 grs of Superformance works well in my Tikka, if you are going to try that load start lower and work up. Superformance has a burn rate slower than 2213 SC so a load for 2213 SC should be fine. Your rifle may not like it but it is worth a try, just remember work up to that load. I used that load over the summer and found it OK but it would be up there and what I would class as Max. Superformance is meant to be a temperature sensitive powder compared to ADI powders.
    Dawg likes this.

57JL
    hay mate have a look at ballistic studies.com it is an awesome place to start it has more info on just about every caliber made in one place
    http://ballistic studies.com and will tell you every thing you need to know check out the knowledgebase on his site
    good shit so do it and it will give you a good safe place start if you are not sure and he is a kiwi who is also a member of this forum community
    Dawg and rewa like this.