Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hot Data?

Hot Data?

Hey guys doing some reloads last night for the 264 Win Mag and noticed that the data from ADI / Hogdons is identical and a bit anaemic, but the data from Nick Harvey is in some cases 10 grains higher with the same powder and bullets (starting charges).

For example:

ADI 130 grain AR2217 56 Min 60 max

Harvey 130 grain AR2217 67 min 72 max

Makes me a bit nervous.

Anyone else noticed this with his data?
    Warm Barrels!

I've got one of his reloading books and most of his info mirrors the ADI site so I double check against it as I've noticed a couple of errors in his load data, whether it be publishing errors I'm not sure...any differences I start at ADI loads and work up
    shooternz and 300_BLK like this.

I start at ADI max now. All modern rifles. Sick of wasting powder starting at ADI min when I end up normally from 1-5 geegees over ADI max everytime. Call me what you want
    Kiwi Greg, 199p, gadgetman and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I start at ADI max now. All modern rifles. Sick of wasting powder starting at ADI min when I end up normally from 1-5 geegees over ADI max everytime. Call me what you want
    Ok... Dick
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Ok... Dick
    Dork!

Gone but not forgotten
    My Nick Harvey manual doesn't even have 2217 for the 264 win mag!
    It a first edition, 1993, some loads are quite different to current ADI data, but the powders have likely changed over the years too.

I had a Nick Harvey manual many years ago some of his loads would not fit in the case had me worried so have never trusted any load data with his name on it
    I always use the powder manufacturers data when starting with a new powder or cartridge until I have some experience with it before pushing the limits.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I had a Nick Harvey manual many years ago some of his loads would not fit in the case had me worried so have never trusted any load data with his name on it
    I always use the powder manufacturers data when starting with a new powder or cartridge until I have some experience with it before pushing the limits.
    Loads like that should be treated the same as for semi fixed artillery ammunition.
    Ram the shell/projectile in first, pack the chamber with the charge insert the case, and retire to a safe distance before pulling the fireing lanyard. Only joking of course.

Shows it's best to have more than one data book, and to cross check.

be very interested in hearing how you get on @300_BLK. I have a 264 win mag that's waiting for some load D. And like you I find myself scratching my head at some of the listed loads powders which seem to only 3/4 fill the case, if that. Also wonder about running slower powders and closer to case capacity. Was thinking of playing around with RL25 or 26 with 140 gn pills. Nosler data might be worth a look too.
    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-da...hester-magnum/

I use to get good accuracy in mine with Hornady 140 gr Spire point interlock and H870 and Fed 215M.

if you look into Nick Harveys loads a bit more carefully you will see he has different loads in the text than are printed in the load section...eg 170grn speer round nose for .270 his loads have always been considered on hot side BUT if you are doing it CORRECTLY and starting low then working way up they should be just fine. every rifle is different.
    Steelisreal likes this.

I have two of his loading books one older than the other and the older book has higher charges than the newer book. Another thing to be aware of is the different style bullets available in the same weight which can have an effect on pressure so it's not always how heavy the powder charge is.

F.Y.I data from the Hornady 10th Edition manual
    129gr/130Gr H1000-(Adi2217) Start 59.2Gr 2900FPS Max 65.9Gr 3150FPS C.O.L 3.200" O.A.L

PJC
    Im with Gibo. I start at ADI max load, if it shoots good thats it.

The first shot with a new (max) load I point at the ground at arms length, keep my head well back and pull the trigger. Then I have a good look at the case, primer etc. Thats my health and safety done.