Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 6 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 1 Post By johnd
  • 11 Post By Tahr

Thread: Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff

I bought a near new/second hand XBolt stainless in 270wsm. Docked the barrel back to 22" and used loads that had worked well in a previous Sako A7 (now a 300saum) and loads I pinched from Ryan off here. 150 VLD and LRAB. New norma cases. Saami OAL.

Velocities should have been around 3050fps according to my data I had from the past, quick-load and Ryan's experience. But yikes! Every case had vicious ejector marks and flat primers and velocities were all 100 fps faster than expected. Up to 3149fps. I tried N550, AR2225 and HV100

So I need to drop all of the loads I tried by at least a grain. Its a good lesson about every rifle is different. This one must have a tight chamber.

The good thing was that it shot very well, especially with the new trigger spring that @Boaraxa put me onto from the States.

Name:  IMG_0168 2.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  61.0 KB

Good stag medicine B. I don't get any ejector marks (possibly because mine is a sako so ejector isn't part of the bolt face.. but primers are fine also. However my brass has had a hard time and I'm finding it very hard to full length size, I full length size it every firing and it's all had four firings so far. I think it's time to aneal or buy some new brass, die is set up how it has always been but I think the brass is getting very hard and "springing" back a bit after running it through the die.
    Tahr likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

You have so many fine accurate rifles it will be hard to decide what to take.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    We tried your Weatherby 257. 1" group with factory 100grn.
    nor-west likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    @nor-west Only 5.
    I don't know why I do it. My standard is .75moa consistently which isn't really that hard with a modern rifle and good scope and loads, eh.

I gave my 300saum with the Tract 'scope a hell of a bash the other night in the dark. Garked the suppressor and carbon stock. Checked it yesterday and zero was perfect. So far its withstood a good soaking, lots of dialing and a good bashing. Early days but its looking like a good one.
    PERRISCICABA and Mooseman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I bought a near new/second hand XBolt stainless in 270wsm. Docked the barrel back to 22" and used loads that had worked well in a previous Sako A7 (now a 300saum) and loads I pinched from Ryan off here. 150 VLD and LRAB. New norma cases. Saami OAL.

Velocities should have been around 3050fps according to my data I had from the past, quick-load and Ryan's experience. But yikes! Every case had vicious ejector marks and flat primers and velocities were all 100 fps faster than expected. Up to 3149fps. I tried N550, AR2225 and HV100

So I need to drop all of the loads I tried by at least a grain. Its a good lesson about every rifle is different. This one must have a tight chamber.

The good thing was that it shot very well, especially with the new trigger spring that @Boaraxa put me onto from the States.

Attachment 85546
    Did you check the freebore @Tahr? might need to shorten coal a few thou".
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Did you check the freebore @Tahr? might need to shorten coal a few thou".
    @Woody Cheers for this. I will. I had assumed that there was plenty because I wasn't at mag length. But as you say, I had better check that assumption.

Really good advice right here guys, thats what its all about.
    Tahr likes this.

Finally sorted. The 150VLD were jammed by 10 thou (thanks @Woody).

Eased them back to touching, dropped the charge to 68gr (started at 70.5).

No pressure signs now. Velocity 3025fps (22" Barrel).

Last sight in target @100yds (pic is sideways):

Name:  IMG_0199.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  74.0 KB

Done and dusted
    Last edited by Tahr; 22-04-2018 at 05:08 PM.