Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do YOU work up a load?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

How do YOU work up a load?

I must have been relatively lucky in the past as I have found it fairly easy to put together a load in all the rifles I have owned. Not really picky but I like to have a load that will consistantly shoot under 0.5" or better. I think this is a fairly reasonable request from the rifles I own except one, the damn CURSE!
    I have always been fairly lazy with load development using 3 shot strings of the same powder charge until one stands out. Typically I have looked for groups of strings where I have reasonable accuracy either side too. I guess this is a node. I have not cared to push it till it is overloaded to find the max, anything around book speeds or better has been enough for me if it is accurate.
    A bit of a google has found things like OCW and Audette ladders and variations on the above (which I suppose mine is a crude version of) but what I was wanting to get an opinions on is when do you stop? When do you throw your hands up and say this pill and that rifle don't want to work. On paper the 105 A Max should shoot in my 243AI, 1:8 but so far has been pretty ordinary. 6mm does not have a huge offering of heavy for calibre hunting bullets so I dont want to discount something due to my lack of knowledge. I have only had one rifle where seating depth was an issue but it still had reasonable accuracy until the seating depth was changed and it then became my most accurate rifle I own.
    I was thinking I will need to start all over with a more organised approach. What do you do?

Ejected
    Haven't played that hard with a load for years but....... used to be find the best powder charge then start playing more with seating depth. Only ever one thing at a time.

Banned
    I should scrap my thread lol and just read this one

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    I should scrap my thread lol and just read this one
    Ha you beat me to it. Rather you look stupid than me

Banned
    only dumb questy is one not assed!!!.
    falconhell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    only dumb questy is one not assed!!!.
    Assed indeed....lol
    I work up different powder charges then with best one play.with seating depths from 10 to 120 thou (if it wont work at original depth). I had trouble.with amax in one rifle but got it sorted with different powder.
    Sounds like youve tried a lot of options with amax. Might be time to try targex?

How do YOU work up a load?............... Get your misses to rub it a bit!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshotkill View Post
    How do YOU work up a load?............... Get your misses to rub it a bit!!!
    Married

mistress may work but I have far too many women in my life as it stands. Last thing I need is another. And no, thats to an open invitation to all you "rainbow friends"

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Married

mistress may work but I have far too many women in my life as it stands. Last thing I need is another. And no, thats to an open invitation to all you "rainbow friends"

Awww!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I am far from an expert!

I touch lands or mag fit which ever is the shorter( no use for single feed )

Either run a ladder or if its a weight Im familiar with in said rifle load up six( two 3 shot groups) in .5 grain increments around the sweet spot of other loads.

Anything that looks promising I will piss around testing seating depth, then run targex(in 6mm)
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    I reckon no one would be in your class as far as, a pee go round, goes Cam. So I would say you are an expert. You always sell your self short.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Fulla
    is this a long range load?
    do you test at 100 yards/meters?
    when you say you load to book speed or max powder weight... maybe try loading higher,(carefully in small amounts) untill you get slight pressure signs. it seems lots of guys get good results at max powder amounts or there abouts.
    Last edited by bully; 22-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.

ebf
    Er bully, I think your last sentence you meant to say max powder not max pressure
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Fulla
    yeah, your right. max pressure will just blow your head off.

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Er bully, I think your last sentence you meant to say max powder not max pressure
    No he true alot run right on the higher node witch is high pressure will be good oneday, next could be tight an hot an not plesant. But some people love there speed maxed out in a case so they leave it there