Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How important is die quality?

How important is die quality?

I've been trying to find a die set for my 7mm-08 since I can use a friends reloading setup if I have them but they seem pretty hard to source.

Reloaders have the Lee Pacesetter 3 die set for $60, which seems ok except for it not having a neck sizing die but when I talked to the guy at the local gun shop he told me Lee dies are rubbish and that they don't seat bullets straight, then promptly gave me a quote for some $300 match grade ones that he would import.

Is the quality really that important?

My rifle shoots some factory ammo at half moa and I'd be happy if I could match that with the reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by MDub View Post
    I've been trying to find a die set for my 7mm-08 since I can use a friends reloading setup if I have them but they seem pretty hard to source.

Reloaders have the Lee Pacesetter 3 die set for $60, which seems ok except for it not having a neck sizing die but when I talked to the guy at the local gun shop he told me Lee dies are rubbish and that they don't seat bullets straight, then promptly gave me a quote for some $300 match grade ones that he would import.

Is the quality really that important?

My rifle shoots some factory ammo at half moa and I'd be happy if I could match that with the reloads.
    Wworkshop Inovations or terminator products could help you
    steven likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Ive got rcbs, lee and lyman dies in a variety of calibres the lee dies reload ammo as well as anything imo but their shell holders can be pretty average. You dont need micrometer dies unless you shoot target comp.
    Savage1, R93, steven and 1 others like this.

Not important if you buy green called Redding.
    R93, BRADS, Gibo and 3 others like this.

R93
    I use Lee for pistol cals but have never tried them in rifle cals. Hear they work as good as any though.
    RCBS are well priced and will load ammo as accurate as you can shoot it.
    I personally use Redding bushing dies for rifle ammo. Suits what I am doing but pretty much any set you can buy these days will be sufficient.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    kimjon, mikee and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Of course quality is important! However, you don't need to spend in a match or bench rest if you reloading for hunting accuracy.
    I start reload for my 7mm Rem mag with rcbs dies, then I got a Hornady for it and both gave me the same results/quality. When I start to reload for my 223 bolt action I bought a set of Lee dies and I still use it now reloading for my AR... In the other hand I sold all my rcbs and hornady dies for the 7 mag and bought Redding ones(2 actually - one from @HNTMAD and other brand new with bushing), I also bought a Redding for my 6.5X55 but the cheapest model and I am buying in the near future another set of Redding for the 223, but, not because the other brands don't do what I want or they should do but because I got a bit "stupid" with this reloading thing.

Go for it, the final results will be great with the right components, a lot of great people here to guide and advise you in this path.

Good luck.

Mac

P38
    @MDub

The only thing rubbish about the Lee RGB or Pacesetter Dies is the advise your local gun shop gave you.

I'd also bet the guy that gave you this advise has never even used Lee Dies.

Giving out shit advise like this suggests he probably only ventures out past the end of his shop counter to "Fetch His Cloth".

I have used and still own Lee RGB & Pacesetter Dies in many calibres for well over 30 years now and give them a triple thumbs up

I did a test a few years ago with a 243 load using the Lee Classic Loader, Lee RGB Dies, RCBS Dies and Forster Dies.

Loaded 3 rounds with each of the different dies to the same specs as my favourite load.

The results once I had pull the trigger on them all were indistinguishable from each other with operator error being the only significant variable I could see.

But the only way to really know if the Lee RGB Dies will work for you is to spend the $60 and test them out.

But don't buy them off your local guy .............. he had his chance.

You won't be disappointed.

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam, madjon_, Brian and 7 others like this.

What a load of crap, my advice is never go near that tosser for advice again, he's just ripping you off.

I and quite a few people shoot to 1000yds using Lee dies. In fact there is some thought that because the Lee neck die self centres well its better than most other dies.

I suggest ammosmith on youtube.
    mawzer308 likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Possibly you cannot get an ultimate set so will have to get a rgb set and the collet set,

Gunsmithing &Reloading Tools - Lee Collet Neck Sizing + Seating Die Set, Dies

07 is listed.

There is also a Lee crimper die.

I actually have 2 bullet seater dies, one per pill (Nossler and HBC 155gr HPBT) so once set its done.
    mikee likes this.

I do agree on the Lee holder, for 223 I ended up getting a RCBS one but I am not convinced its significantly better.

lee is fine , i use the rifle dies for my AR , never had a load problem yet , used lee for my 9mm till i got a set of hornady dies because they were cheap , loading some this morning , and i notice the hornady ones are beginning to rust on the outside and the lee bullet seater right next to it is still shiny ....lee loads all my other calibres just fine
    steven and PERRISCICABA like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

The advice you were given at the sports shop was actually this:-
    "we don't make much profit on a $60 die set but the profit from this $300 set will almost pay my wages for the day. I don't think you know any better so I'm going to push it on you."

As the others have said Lee dies are fine and if you are happy to order online locally, Julian at Workshop Innovation is easy to deal with and prompt at sending things out.
    steven, stumpy and PERRISCICABA like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Got both Lee and RCBS. Have now bought Lee for the calibers I had RCBS for if that tells you anything....

Fulla
    All hornady. They shoot one hole groups so stuck with them.

Out of the standard type dies Lee is one of the best IMO. Standard as in basic seating die and a FL die with expander button. I have found that lee and RCBS FL dies are the nicest when using the expander button. I have used Hornady dies and have a set of Redding dies that are just horrible trying to drag the expander back through the neck. Luckily with the Redding the expander button can be unscrewed leaving you with a decapping stem. This approach works great for me.
    R93 likes this.