Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Howa 6.5x55 loads

I have just set a mate up in the above rifle and was looking to see if any body has done any load work and tips to get these shooting their best.
    Usually recommend a tikka but the local man did this with a not to bad night eater scope and suppressor for $1099 stainless synthetic.
    They have a nice crisp trigger not to heavy and the houge stock is not to bad either
    Cheers Andy
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Thats easy. Lapua brass, N560, 140 Amax
    I usually do use amax in 6.5 but he isnt set up for long range so keen to use 140 hornady soft points and hog my ten boxes of amax for myself!
    I have been having good success with 2209 and if that dont work will try some 560.
    This is the first howa i have really had any thing to do with as far as load development goes.
    It does not seem to group as tight as tikkas out of the box but will persevere

The Original Striker
    I find with my Howa (7mmRM) and others Ive talked to to that they like the loads stoked up on the hotter side to group well
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

There's an article in the current NZ Outdoor Hunting mag and the editor has set the same rifle up for his son. I think he was loading Barnes 120gr TTSX with good results. For short range bush stuff I think it'd a good bullet to use.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Tussock I thought you were using used 2 table spoons of baking powder as recommend in the Betty Crocker reloading Manuel for girls --by the way what is the velocity like
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

A useful alternative to N560 if it won't work is IMR 4831. Although I use N560, IMR 4831 is actually a little more accurate in my rifle. I can get 2800 with both. 21.5" barrel. 140 SST shoot better than the Amax in mine.

The NZ Outdoor Mag load I mentioned is 50gr of N560 with the 120gr TTSX for 2900fps out of an 18" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    The NZ Outdoor Mag load I mentioned is 50gr of N560 with the 120gr TTSX for 2900fps out of an 18" barrel.
    I went to buy the mag and the new one is out! bugger
    I will wait till the suppressor turns up from the importer and send the lot down to Allan Newnham at accurracy developments for a bedding job and some decent rings,
    I want to use 09 as i have kilos of it as it shoots well in the tikkas i load for,
    I have tried n560 and it didnt seem to group as well as the 09 in my tikka and a mate uses 4831 with good results in the sako 6.5 so will see what happens
    Thanks for the ideas and i will keep you posted

Ran through a load sequence the other day: SST 140gr, Norma brass, Re22 powder, RWS primer:
    45.0/2531ft/sec
    45.3/2554
    45.6/2523
    45.9/2553
    46.2/2586
    46.5/2609
    46.8/2641
    47.1/2631
    47.4/2693
    47.7/2653
    48.0/2700
    48.3/2717

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I paid Alan Newnham about $300 for him to turn my 22-250 into a .223 velocity wise, an expensive load I never bothered with, I got an accurate one sorted myself going 500ft/sec faster. The "bedding job" was a couple of bits of plastic glued into the action and there was still pink goo all over everything. Just do it yourself. Five minutes on here and you will know enough. Good for people with no access to reloading gear and no experience.
    Gidday Tussock,I have had a lot of rifles and friends go through Allan getting work done which he has done for a very resonable price with a good job to boot.
    I know if you wanted 22-243 speeds out of your 22-250 he could go down that road but as you probably realise he has to load for the lowest common denominator.
    He only charges $60 for a bedding job and about $130 for load development and if it might have been a bit rough i bet the rifle shot well
    I presume you have talked to him about what you consider an expensive sub standard service to give him the right to remedy the problems or refund your money.
    Before you reply to this feel free to ring him on 063267077 and if you have no joy with his awnser then feel free to post on here that you did indeed get a raw deal as i feel a rifle that is going a bit slow for you and has an untidy bedding job but accurate is not the end of the world to be hung drawn and quartered on the forum
    Cheers Andy

The Hornady 129gr SST could be worth a go too.