Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By omegaspeedy
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 5 Post By Ryan_Songhurst

Thread: Just completed my first ever reload (6.5mm Creedmoor) Question?

Just completed my first ever reload (6.5mm Creedmoor) Question?

Hi Guys, I just completed my first ever reload with a lot of YouTubing and a point in the right direction! I'm stoked and really enjoyed the experience.

Here was my list of incidence.

- New Hornady brass
    - Sierra Matchking 130g TMK
    - 38.8g AR2209
    - O.A.L of 2.75"

My load data was from the Powder manufacturer.

I set up a table that I can move around and load where ever I want in the house.

My question to the 6.5mm Creedmoor loaders out there is why has the powder manufacturer recommended a O.A.L of 2.75" where the Hornady dimensions are longer on their spec sheet (Max 2.825")? Should I have measured a Hornady Match round and copied the O.A.L of 2.81"?

Name:  IMG_4112.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  1.02 MBName:  IMG_4116.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  745.5 KBName:  IMG_4118.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  988.4 KBName:  IMG_4119.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  850.5 KBName:  IMG_4122.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  998.1 KB
    Bernie and WallyR like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by omegaspeedy View Post
    Hi Guys, I just completed my first ever reload with a lot of YouTubing and a point in the right direction! I'm stoked and really enjoyed the experience.

Here was my list of incidence.

- New Hornady brass
    - Sierra Matchking 130g TMK
    - 38.8g AR2209
    - O.A.L of 2.75"

My load data was from the Powder manufacturer.

I set up a table that I can move around and load where ever I want in the house.

My question to the 6.5mm Creedmoor loaders out there is why has the powder manufacturer recommended a O.A.L of 2.75" where the Hornady dimensions are longer on their spec sheet (Max 2.825")? Should I have measured a Hornady Match round and copied the O.A.L of 2.81"?

Attachment 71201Attachment 71202Attachment 71203Attachment 71204Attachment 71205
    I normally start a new load at max mag length or about 10 thou off the lands (if that fits the mag). Often rifles will be more accurate with bullets seated out close to lands. Also the further the bullet is seated out of the case the more case capacity you have for powder.

Basically let the rifle tell you what it likes. So start where I suggest above. Find your most accurate powder charge, then if that isn't already shooting tiny little groups, Then start playing with seating depth.

Load 3 rounds each at different seating depths. Move at least 20 to 40 thou each step do 3 or 4 lots. One of them will shoot better than rest.

Then fine tune
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I normally start a new load at max mag length or about 10 thou off the lands (if that fits the mag). Often rifles will be more accurate with bullets seated out close to lands. Also the further the bullet is seated out of the case the more case capacity you have for powder.

Basically let the rifle tell you what it likes. So start where I suggest above. Find your most accurate powder charge, then if that isn't already shooting tiny little groups, Then start playing with seating depth.

Load 3 rounds each at different seating depths. Move at least 20 to 40 thou each step do 3 or 4 lots. One of them will shoot better than rest.

Then fine tune
    Great thanks for the awesome advice. I was going to seat them at slightly less than max but was worried that the increase in air space could adversely affect the recommended powder load. Based on what you've said, I don't need to worry about that air gap, just find where my lands start and back it off slightly (see if it also fits in the mag?) and see how it shoots. It seems that most hand loads for 6.5 CM are into the early 40g's whereas I've used 38.8g which is 0.4g's off the max from the load manual. Are guys incrementally pushing out past the max to get more range/energy?

No need to push it to max IF you have a chrony to verify your speed, and the scope and data to work with that. 38.8 seems pretty mild, I'm running 42.5 of 2209 behind 143 ELDX's to give me 2653fps.

GWH
    Great thanks for the awesome advice. I was going to seat them at slightly less than max but was worried that the increase in air space could adversely affect the recommended powder load. Based on what you've said, I don't need to worry about that air gap, just find where my lands start and back it off slightly (see if it also fits in the mag?) and see how it shoots. It seems that most hand loads for 6.5 CM are into the early 40g's whereas I've used 38.8g which is 0.4g's off the max from the load manual. Are guys incrementally pushing out past the max to get more range/energy?
    I shoot a 'ladder test' first. So starting about 2 gr below book max, load each round with .5gr more powder and i would normally load up to 1 or 2gr more than book max (but i use a software programme called Quickload that gives an fairly accurate prediction of pressure levels etc).

Then you start shooting your ladder starting from the lowest. Aiming at the one point. You are looking for two things. the grouping of the shots, looking for a sweet spot of velocity where 3 or so rounds (different powder charges remember) are all shooting very tight. You are also looking to 'find max pressure' for you rifle. Pressures signs are generally flattened primmers (but i dont find this one to be that reliable), then as you go higher yo could end up getting 'heavy bolt lift' and possibly a round stamp mark on the case head. both of these things are definite indicators that you have found excess pressure levels, and you max powder load for that ammo in that rifle will be likely 1-1.5gr less than that.

In many rifles you will find best accuracy (tight grouping) at powder levels less than the max powder weight for that rifle.

When I had a 6.5CM I too also loaded 42.5gr of 2209 with 143g ELD-X'S. So your 38.8g with a 130g will def be quite mild.
    Last edited by GWH; 26-06-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Awesome guys, thanks so much!

I'm thinking that the load data is conservative. The max powder for 130g states 39.2g and that's why I thought I'd start a bit lower at 38.8 but not down at the 35g bottom figure. I'm going to do more tomorrow so I'll load some test loads as you've mentioned GWH. Also going to find my 'land' with a dummy round and loose fitting projectile then back it off .01". I'll do this with each individual brand of projectile so I don't get any unwanted binding.

Welcome to the deep dark world of roll-your-own. Seems like you are on the right track. I can see your little table lasting all of about a week before it slowly gets covered with all manner of new gear and bits and bobs to the point you cant actually remember what the table looks like under all the stuff! Happens to all of us. Good luck, enjoy!
    Kiwi Greg, GWH, Husky1600 and 2 others like this.

You're doing the right thing by starting at lower powder charges. Work up loads carefully and as you gain experience. Seek some advice on how to read pressure signs to avoid issues. Take notes and keep a good record of what you have done, from this you will see where you are heading, what has worked or not.
    And yeah ... enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    You're doing the right thing by starting at lower powder charges. Work up loads carefully and as you gain experience. Seek some advice on how to read pressure signs to avoid issues. Take notes and keep a good record of what you have done, from this you will see where you are heading, what has worked or not.
    And yeah ... enjoy!
    Cheers John, yeah I'm taking heaps of notes. Really looking forward to getting to the range next week to test out a few different combos. I love reloading and I can see I'll never go back now!

Cheers John, yeah I'm taking heaps of notes. Really looking forward to getting to the range next week to test out a few different combos. I love reloading and I can see I'll never go back now!
    Yea reloading can be both enjoyable and frustrating.
    I found that Hodgdon Superformance powder gave the best speeds in the creedmoor when using 143grn ELDX .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk