Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Kimber 84M reload start point

Kimber 84M reload start point

Hey Team

Just got a Kimber M84 that I need to do some load development for, from what ive read they are pretty picky and can have accuracy issues.
    Looking for knockdown power and accuracy out to 400m.

Loading federal LR primers, new Federal casings, and 2206h powder.

Just sold my Rem 700 .308 that I was feeding 165gr Sierra hpbt with great results but am planning on using 150gr this time, either 150gr SST, Sierra 150gr HPBT, Nosler 150gr spitzer BT.

Any suggestions that may save me some time/cash in the process?

Cheers
    Strider

MSL
    I’ve a Montana 84m .308
    14.5” barrel, 130gr ttsx at 3023fps, shot a stag at 400yards but that’s as far as I’d shoot an animal with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I’ve a Montana 84m .308
    14.5” barrel, 130gr ttsx at 3023fps, shot a stag at 400yards but that’s as far as I’d shoot an animal with it

Sounds like its worth a crack. My one has been shortened a bit with a greystone 3k can on it so sounds like a similar animal.

MSL
    one you get the hang of shooting such a light rifle, you’ll love it

superdiver and Rees like this.

165s will hold energy out at range better. Maybe look at the 165 speer btsp or 168 speer gold dot. Good BCs so.will help with your longer shooting or even better the 168eldm as work well at lower speeds so you don't have to worry about that!

Have you considered buying a box or 2 of hornady precision hunter ammo. My Kimber shoots that brand of ammo into tiny whittle groups way more smaller than I need in a hunting rifle.
    For all I use it for hunting Factory ammo that shoots like that is good enough for me even though the price nearly gave me a heart attack...................first rifle factory ammo I have brought in nearly 15 years.
    Tahr and Shearer like this.

Cheers for the info team.
    After a bit of research I’ve decided to try with a couple of different 150gr projectiles and will also feed some of my 165gr Sierra hpbt through it and see how it goes.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Have you considered buying a box or 2 of hornady precision hunter ammo. My Kimber shoots that brand of ammo into tiny whittle groups way more smaller than I need in a hunting rifle.
    For all I use it for hunting Factory ammo that shoots like that is good enough for me even though the price nearly gave me a heart attack...................first rifle factory ammo I have brought in nearly 15 years.
    I’ve got a sako a2 fullstock .308, shoots the sako 165gr game pro into .75” so whilst exorbitantly expensive, I’m more than happy to buy that factory ammo for this occasional hunting rifle

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    I’ve got a sako a2 fullstock .308, shoots the sako 165gr game pro into .75” so whilst exorbitantly expensive, I’m more than happy to buy that factory ammo for this occasional hunting rifle

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

That’s not too bad, I do go out gong slapping a bit to tune my shooting in different conditions, cross winds and shooting angles so will probably send myself broke buying top shelf ammo. I like the process of load development too.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider B View Post
    That’s not too bad, I do go out gong slapping a bit to tune my shooting in different conditions, cross winds and shooting angles so will probably send myself broke buying top shelf ammo. I like the process of load development too.
    I shoot every Sunday doing all those things but I have other rifles for that "practice" I reload for all them but my new hunting rifle is a factory stock Montana in 300WSM and its surely better than what I used to use cause it actually works properly. I won't be loading for it ...........................................yet as I only hunt when the freezer is MT
    Shearer likes this.

What's your load recipe? I also have the Kimber 708, and keen not to reinvent the wheel where others have had success. cheers

I've got a 84M Montana with a 14&1/4" 308 barrel & DPT suppressor that shoots 130g ttsx Barnes's ahead of 2206H into 1/2" 3 shot groups all day.
    Going slower than MSL's one, but nothing gets up to argue the difference.

Greetings,
    A few years back I did some load tests using 125, 150 and 165 grain projectiles and several types of powder. AR2206H gave good results as they all did. The test load was 44 grains of AR2206H with the 150 grain Hornady Interlok in new Winchester cases and Federal 210 primers. Only two shots per powder projectile combination as comparative velocity was the aim. Velocity was 2,675 from a 20" barrel so a book max load of 45.5 grains should produce around 2,750 fps in my 40 plus year old M700. My rifle does not shoot the 150 grain boat tail projectiles as well as the flat base but your results may differ. I also tried AR2206, which is a little faster then AR2206H plus IMR4064 and AR2208. The latter two will need powder compression to get to max loads as they were a lot slower than AR2206H.
    Regards Grandpamac.

buggers to shoot consistantly without a lot of control. i found them shooting different depending on pressure of thumb, finger, cheek etc.... my 708 is min load of 2208 with 140gr an its fairly sharp still, stoked up its a handful imo. snappy little thang.

i do love it though. must have tight chamber as cant stoke much in it before primers flatten out---

chrono shows 2650...... no record breaker but gosh it tips em over like no tomorrow.