Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Kit for a Noob

Kit for a Noob

Hi there just wanting some input on this kit Lee 50th Anniversary Kit

Think the wife is going to buy me one next month

Im a complete NOOB when it comes to this reloading ,will this kit suite my purpose ? .. I intend reload .223 and 7mm-08

Cheers
    Seano
    Munsey and JP100 like this.

Yes just get 7-08 and 223 dies and you are good to go
    seano likes this.

its all good mate shell holder and case length gauge trimmer for each people bag lee gear but for the price you cant bet it

If someone else is buying it , all good.

Been using one for the past couple of years now, reloading 303,7x54r, 223, and never had a problem with it. Very good value for your money, the only thing xtra I bought was a frankford arsenal digital scale to double check my loads.
    steven likes this.

yea man. good wee kits nothing wrong with them.
    just make sure you get a good reloading book(or 3) like a Nick Harveys manual.
    they are easy to read and endless info.
    nzfubz and steven like this.

I find some of the Lee stuff a bit cheap and cheerful, somethings best to avoid, some you cant buy better IMHO.

I certainly recommend Lee dies, surperb value for money and better than anything else thats x2 (or more) the price. Also the delux Lee quick trim or the std case length sizer, cheap but very good.

The 50th kit is a good start but if you can afford a bit better I'd buy a RCBS rock chucker press but that is $295 alone (but you'll get 30+ years out of it). The good thing is keep the Lee clean and tidy and you can sell stuff on TM and get some of your money back as you upgrade.

For powder "throwing" What I do is I have a cheap dx.com digital press (at about $15US) and pre-weigh the loads to roughly close then fine tune on the Lee scales. Its quicker as the lee scales take time to balance, but the Lee scale is accurate and sensitive, it will detect a single grain being added. If loading I live with +/- 0.2grain for 308w. I wouldnt buy a $80 ish digital scale and only use it myself. Ccross check with a beam scale, had a nasty scare last year when my Hornady started to read 7gr low and I didnt pick that up striaght away. My fav beam scale is a lyman but that is $125 v $49 for the Lee so I use a Lee.

I also buy MTM plastic "stuff", ie funnels and reloading trays, its fairly cheaply priced but seems pretty good as a brand.

I avoid smartreloader stuff, I think its nasty.

Enjoy....I find it great fun and relaxing...
    seano likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I just got some blocks of timber and drilled holes in them for reloading trays. Cheap and works well. One side for the 08 cases the other side for the 223 cases.
    JP100 and seano like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Lucky bugger Sean! they're good kits I'd suggest some digi scales aswell to check loads and the case prep tools from Lee haven't let me down yet (trim length is a very important one) keen to show you the drill one arvo over some clays aswell.
    seano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I just got some blocks of timber and drilled holes in them for reloading trays. Cheap and works well. One side for the 08 cases the other side for the 223 cases.
    same here. used mine for like 5 years. didnt cost a cent

Hehe, great idea.

ducks down under the house to make one up now....

Lee kit is great, all I upgraded was the scales. And get a trickler.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

Professional Armed Tramper lost's Avatar
    Personally didn't like the feel of the Lee kit, went and saved a bit longer and got the RCBS Rockchucker kit instead
    steven likes this.

Its good for low usage but if you want to better your rifle or fire more ammo look into investing in better gear
    steven likes this.

Well thanks for the input guys ,there's a lot to take in .. but I think ill get there in the end
    Today I picked up some assorted reloading gear from a mate to get me started ,got some .223 dies which I was after and some 308 dies also chucked in on the deal ...ive got some projectiles etc coming ..so prob only few more things to pick up along the way(No such thing as only a few more things when it comes to gun related stuff lol)
    Next step take over small room upstairs of house and set up a "Reloading desk/Room"
    Here's some pics of what I picked up ...
    Please let me know what I should have paid for the lot ? as im sure I should have payed more ?
    Attachment 19785Attachment 19786Attachment 19788Attachment 19789Attachment 19790Attachment 19791Attachment 19792Attachment 19793Attachment 19794Attachment 19795Attachment 19796Attachment 19797Attachment 19798
    Gibo likes this.