Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 3 Post By gundoc

Thread: L2A2?

L2A2?

In amongst my random 308 ( go 308!) I have some CAC cartridges, most have CAC 308 headstamps but one has CAC 65 L2A2 as it’s headstamp.

Any explanation/comment on this oddball?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

its high tolerance for markman/sniper shooting. also known as green dot. normal ammo was called black dot
    Finnwolf likes this.

Forgot to mention the round in question has a pointed soft-pointed projectile, looks to be 150gr or so.

L2A2 was the correct military designation for the standardised 7.62x51 ball cartridge as manufactured by CAC. Some over-run cases from when CAC lost the military contract in 1965 were used to load 150 grain .308 sporting loads which were sold in the colourful 'Deer & mountains' packets of the period. The L2A2 designation was for the ammo and has no relationship to any rifle. The primary word at the beginning of the description of a UK military item determines the category, eg; Cartridge 7.62mm L2A2, Rifle 7.62mm L1A1, Bayonet L2A1, etc. The L stands for Land Service, the first number is for the principal pattern (1 for original design, 2 for a major modification, etc), the A replaces the old Mark designation for minor modifications, the last number is the minor modification number.
    johnd, zimmer and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    L2A2 was the correct military designation for the standardised 7.62x51 ball cartridge as manufactured by CAC. Some over-run cases from when CAC lost the military contract in 1965 were used to load 150 grain .308 sporting loads which were sold in the colourful 'Deer & mountains' packets of the period. The L2A2 designation was for the ammo and has no relationship to any rifle. The primary word at the beginning of the description of a UK military item determines the category, eg; Cartridge 7.62mm L2A2, Rifle 7.62mm L1A1, Bayonet L2A1, etc. The L stands for Land Service, the first number is for the principal pattern (1 for original design, 2 for a major modification, etc), the A replaces the old Mark designation for minor modifications, the last number is the minor modification number.
    @gundoc, your response is much appreciated!
    BTW ‘back in the day’ some of my mates reckoned L2A2 ammo was originally designed for use in machine guns!