Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Labradar

Labradar

Any reasons not to buy a Labradar?
    Is consistent set up critical, or are they as simple as the advertising states? Just point down range and get consistent readings?
    Anyone in the Hamilton to Taupo area who has one I could see in action?
    Overkill is still dead.

They the bees knees

nothing is perfect,,used one yesterday but would be as happy with my rabbit ears

Labradars are nice friendly dags.
    veitnamcam, Gibo and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Any reasons not to buy a Labradar?
    Is consistent set up critical, or are they as simple as the advertising states? Just point down range and get consistent readings?
    Anyone in the Hamilton to Taupo area who has one I could see in action?
    Yep had one about three years. Very easy to set up, makes load development easy. I’m in Hams and if you want to have a look at the unit and have a quick run through pm me
    zimmer likes this.

Had one for a couple of years. The only problem is getting the labradar lined up on the target at 100m. One of the NZHS members gave me (and a few others) a sight to fit on the top to help, and it does help, but getting the labradar lined up correctly is still an aspect of the design that appears to have not been thought through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    nothing is perfect,,used one yesterday but would be as happy with my rabbit ears
    What did you find to be imperfect?

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    Had one for a couple of years. The only problem is getting the labradar lined up on the target at 100m. One of the NZHS members gave me (and a few others) a sight to fit on the top to help, and it does help, but getting the labradar lined up correctly is still an aspect of the design that appears to have not been thought through.
    Yep, the notch in the top is hopeless in getting good setup. I used to use a 223 case sat in the vee as an aiming sight. I always got 5 bars, sometimes 4.
    Recently bought a 3d printed bolt on sight from Craig on this forum (Ozark Outdoors @Double Shot ). No issues getting 5 bars every time now.

The other thing is to use the phone app (still buggie though with drop outs but that may be my phone). I shoot with the LR on the right so no more getting up and reaching over to start new strings etc.

The other issue is if shooting in a gallery environment other rifles even a couple of shooters away can false trigger it. I have a vibration sensor on order which overcomes this.

Otherwise, aside from the ouch price I am happy as. A close second was my Magnetospeed which had its own set of unique issues but produced valid velocities.
    Last edited by zimmer; 17-09-2020 at 07:47 PM.

res
    I like mine, had to upgrade the "sight" and get a recoil "trigger" for it but once I got those I have found it fantastic. Im trying to set it up as often as I can to collect temperature data on my my target rifles
    Using Tapatalk

Yep got these, have been using one for a while, certainly helps with aiming radar.

As all my rifles are suppressed I also use an external mic on the end of the suppressor, makes a big difference.

You need to get a good trigger, and suppressors make this very difficult.

It works an absolute treat.

Name:  lab-radar-1024x683.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  51.8 KB

Huh, I have no problem aiming the labradar at all. Just a rough sight towards the target slightly high, i find it quite forgiving. I no longer use an external trigger unless its suppressed rim fire. It comes down to the set up. With a suppressor I have the unit foward of the suppressor muzzel by 30- 50 mm and about 100mm to the side of the fixed trigger point , with a brake its the same but with larger cartridges Ill move it 150mm to the side or I will set it on the bench close to and just forward of reciever. With a bare barrel it will be just slightly behind the muzzel. It dosnt miss a shot. I use eneloop pro rechargeable AAs , they last really well between charges, The benefits are accurate and consistent readings to the point were validation almost becomes a given and set up with different rifles is fast and simple. Cons, they are a little fragile and wont take to much of a bump. If I was just using it for the odd time I would get magneto speed and save the money.
    Chicken and Dreamer like this.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise menĒ Sir Douglas Bader.

I was always happy with the results that my Magnetospeed gave. Never could say the same for any of my optical chronographs. I compared my Magnetospeed with my Labradar once I got that and they almost matched. Litz somewhere has done comparisons. The downside of the Magnetospeed was it messed with barrel harmonics and shifted POI. Needed to recheck zero once any load development done and MS removed from barrel. This aspect is obviously already widely written about.

The problems with the MS for me was when going to the range to have a multi rifle session the MS needed setting up on each barrel with usually different spacers. I kept a notebook of the different spacer combinations used for each rifle. Getting the correct gap between the sensor and the barrel line seemed to be critical. No such problems with the Labradar.

The other issue for me was shooting my military full wooded rifles. To attach to my K31 I had to remove the front band and stacking hook, a right pain.
    Name:  K31 Magnetospeed Setup.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  3.02 MB

I’ve never had major issues lining up the radar at the range on a 100m target. Haven’t encountered problems with suppressed rifles either, just have the muzzle slightly behind the radar so it has the chance to cue the reading.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Iíve never had major issues lining up the radar at the range on a 100m target. Havenít encountered problems with suppressed rifles either, just have the muzzle slightly behind the radar so it has the chance to cue the reading.
    You can get away with less than perfect alignment. I usually try though for 4 or 5 bars. What this does is give you good signal to noise ratio values further down the range. This means you can track the projectile velocity further downrange and could if desired calculate BC. I have never bothered.

The only cartridge I ever had initial trouble getting to trigger was my slow poke of a 32/20. IIRC I changed from rifle to pistol setting and all good.
    Have measured 100s of 22rf and my PCP without issues.
    stagstalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The only cartridge I ever had initial trouble getting to trigger was my slow poke of a 32/20. IIRC I changed from rifle to pistol setting and all good.
    Have measured 100s of 22rf and my PCP without issues.
    Similar issues with subs on my 308. Couldnít detect bullet so just swapped it to pistol caliber and easily read it at slower speeds. 1089fps with the 308 151gr subs
    Beaut machine but luckily I shoot with someone who owns one already
    Go fast, Donít suck