Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By hunter308
  • 3 Post By Dougie
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 3 Post By P38
  • 1 Post By Neckshot

Thread: Learning to reload

Learning to reload

Hi all just wandering the what's and hows of learning to reload?

cheers

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchild View Post

cheers
    There are dozens of people on here that can put you straight on that. Unfortunately I am not one of them
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Theres a few good videos on youtube and a few good books around
    VIVA LA HOWA

Hornady reloading manual, nosler relaoding manual, Nick Harvey reloading manual, nosler going ballistic and ABC's of reloading will be of good service to you read those manuals as preference over you tube as there are videos on there that can give very bad advice to a learner. Also seeing you are in Hamilton and I am in Te Awamutu if you want a bit of practical help I do not mind popping over to help you out by showing you how to set up dies etc. Also when buying dies good idea to try and get a 3 die set that will have seating, full length and neck sizer dies.
    Bryan and steven like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Just don't do what Toby does!!

Seriously though, in my own experience, you've opened a real can of worms here D! It's really fun and pretty nerdy in a manly kind of way. There's a whole section on here with heaps of info. Also there are some good YouTube videos out there. As for everything though, there are also some shitty YouTube videos and also plenty of stuff about cats. My advice would be to tee up with a forum member in your area and watch them go! Hopefully we'll have a bit better go at a reloading party down here again soon. There was a bit more party and a bit less reloading than there probably should have been
    DAF, Toby and steven like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

ammosmith on youtube is a good start,

Ammosmith Reloading - YouTube

specifically,

YouTube

as is iraqveteran888 howtos

Iraqveteran8888 - YouTube

though avoid the gungripes bit unless for entertainment........though laughing at the inflicted is a bit cruel.

Cowboy T isnt bad either,

Cowboy T - YouTube

Strikes me that someone doing a night school class for reloading could be rather popular....
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Dchild View Post

cheers
    I suppose the first thing is to re-examine why you want to reload, because a basic reloading setup is going to set you back about $600~700. For instance doing it to save money on commonly available cheap calibers like say 7.62x39mm or 54R, probably 308 and .223 make little sense for hunting and ranges under 300m. eg I can buy barnual steel ammo for less cost than I can reload it for even ignoring the cost of the brass.

eg costs, primer 10cents, projectile 40~80cents, powder 40~50cents (308/russian54R) so about $1 a round. Barnual ammo is 87cents a round.

Then if the gun you have suits reloading, eg an SKS firing 7.62x39mm will lose most of its cases as the damn stuff flies 2~3metres high and off to the right somewhere at high speed, you will never find most of it to reload it. Semi-autos are also harder on brass so you probably wont get many reloads per case....

Now if you want to do it for the fun of it, thats cool, I find it fun.

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I suppose the first thing is to re-examine why you want to reload, because a basic reloading setup is going to set you back about $600~700. For instance doing it to save money on commonly available cheap calibers like say 7.62x39mm or 54R, probably 308 and .223 make little sense for hunting and ranges under 300m. eg I can buy barnual steel ammo for less cost than I can reload it for even ignoring the cost of the brass.

eg costs, primer 10cents, projectile 40~80cents, powder 40~50cents (308/russian54R) so about $1 a round. Barnual ammo is 87cents a round.

Then if the gun you have suits reloading, eg an SKS firing 7.62x39mm will lose most of its cases as the damn stuff flies 2~3metres high and off to the right somewhere at high speed, you will never find most of it to reload it. Semi-autos are also harder on brass so you probably wont get many reloads per case....

Now if you want to do it for the fun of it, thats cool, I find it fun.

A lot of people have started out the LEE kits but places like workshop innovations and reloaders would be good sites to check out for full reloading kits most notably workshop innovations as they carry RCBS and Lyman kits and from memory I think forlongs in frankton have started stocking reloading gear too. I have had an old lee press in the past and liked it and got accurate ammo from it but they had a reputation for linkages breaking but now that they have improved the quality of the linkages on the o frame presses from teh cast alloy linkages to steel ones they seem to be getting slightly better comments but the downfall of the lee kits are the scales and the powder thrower not throwing accurate charges with extruded powder but they are great with ball powders. Barnaul ammo is OK and I have used it in a 308 I had but used to cause sticky bolt lift on the rifle I had but it loved the reloads and at the time it was cheaper for me to reload my .308 than buy packets of good factory ammo and probably still is with ammo being 35 dollars plus for a pack of 20 plus having once fired brass to take home that has been fired in your rifle is a plus instead of leaving steel cases laying around in the bush or at the range to rust. Only downside you spend more time at the range because you have ammo on tap but is also good for getting to know your hunting rifle and helps improve shooting techniques too which is not so bad
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

cheers guys, just interested in seeing what its about, ill have watch through the videos and stuff

Read threw every thread in the reloading section and report back with any questions.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    jakewire and Neckshot like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

P38
    Yea Ha another victim ... err reloading enthusiast.

First comes fascination followed quickly by addiction.

Mate if you lived close by I be happy to show you but I have to caution you ...... Be Bloody Careful!

Reloading is 1000x more addictive than the most addictive, addictive thing on it's most addictive day.

One little micro taste and [B]BAM![/B] your hooked for life ..... no going back and no cure known to man.

Best thing is not to fight it just enjoy it and go along for the ride.

Cheers
    Pete

P.S. I think H&F on Te Rapa have reloading demo nights where you migh learn somethings..... if you can stomach their BS that is.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Welcome to a world of sometimes frustration, puzzlement and WTF.
    How ever the moments of extreme satisfaction when making a fine shot with your own tailor made ammo more than make up for the rest of it.
    And I like doing it,.......... I think.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Plenty of info out there, this lot (sierra) have some of the clearest info without buying a manual:

exterior ballistics

Load data for ADI powder here:

ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide

All you need to feed really

right what I need in the middle of exams then haha

Banned
    Hey Dchild there is also a N I forum Chrony for forum member to use for free which is in my posession so when you have some loads ready to go pm me your add and ill post it to ya mate and when you finnish using it post to the next fulla on the list..............unless no bugger wants it then keep using it untill someone dose
    Dchild likes this.