Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lee Loadmaster Restoration Project

P38

Lee Loadmaster Restoration Project

I was recently given two Lee Loadmasters.

Cheers Walker

Both are in very good condition, however both are missing parts.
    One is missing more than the other.

My intention is to restore both, and set one up for reloading 25-20wcf for my 1892 Winchester and the other for .357mag for my Revolvers.

Getting the parts is going to be the hard part, fitting the parts and tuning the press is the easy bit.

If anyone has a drawing with a parts list especially the part numbers they could share that would be much appreciated.
    I have the owners manual but that does not contain a parts list

Also if anyone knows where I can purchase said parts, without being screwed with shipping, that would be great too.

Seems these parts are in short supply here in NZ as the panic buying of Firearms and Firearms related products in the U.S. continues unabated.

I'll post pics as I go and maybe a vid or two once fully operational again.

Cheers
    Pete
    Name:  IMG_7537.JPG
Views: 2187
Size:  66.1 KBName:  IMG_7535.JPG
Views: 4536
Size:  80.0 KBName:  IMG_7536.JPG
Views: 1873
Size:  82.0 KB

Hey pete,

Taieri arms in mosgiel may be a ok place to check for getting parts for the presses. They do get a lot of Lee gear in, mind you not all that cheap either
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

ebf
    Titanreloading
    Natchez shooting supplies
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

+1,000,000 for titan. Got my loadmaster from them for under $400nzd landed. They have a great selection of spare parts too.

For info on getting the presses up and running well, check out this site: The Load Master Zone - reloading with Lee presses - videos and forums the forum has a lot of info on tips and fixes for various bugbears.

P38
    Thanks Guys

Scaggly
    Thanks for the info I've already joined up with the Loadmaster fourm.

ebf
    Yes I have been looking on the Titan reloading website they do have most of what I need.
    I'll take some inventory and work out the costs.

Puku
    Never thought of Taieri arms will check them out.

Cheers
    Pete

Reloaders Supplies in Auck have Lee stuff...
    There's always a chance, while there's lead in the air!
    A golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.

P38
    Added all the parts I needed to my shopping cart at Titan $120us ... not too bad I thought.

Then I got an estimate on the shipping costs $80us

Does anyone else think this is just robbery?

LyonRuge
    I have already emailed Dan with a list ...... Hope it comes in under the Titan costs including shipping.

Haven't heard anything from Taieri Arms.... guess they are too busy to sell stuff to me.

Cheers
    Pete

Unless things have changed a lot, I reckon titan will still work out to be 30 to 40% cheaper than any nz shop. Sounds like shipping prices have crept up a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    I was recently given two Lee Loadmasters.

Cheers Walker

Both are in very good condition, however both are missing parts.
    One is missing more than the other.

My intention is to restore both, and set one up for reloading 25-20wcf for my 1892 Winchester and the other for .357mag for my Revolvers.

Getting the parts is going to be the hard part, fitting the parts and tuning the press is the easy bit.

If anyone has a drawing with a parts list especially the part numbers they could share that would be much appreciated.
    I have the owners manual but that does not contain a parts list

Also if anyone knows where I can purchase said parts, without being screwed with shipping, that would be great too.

Seems these parts are in short supply here in NZ as the panic buying of Firearms and Firearms related products in the U.S. continues unabated.

I'll post pics as I go and maybe a vid or two once fully operational again.

Cheers
    Pete
    Attachment 8232Attachment 8233Attachment 8234
    Hows this going?
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

P38
    It's going good Steven

I got a bunch of parts from Dan @ Reloaders Supplies unfortunately he didn't have all the parts I needed and he wont be able to get anymore for about four months.

However I did get enough parts for one press to begin reloading 25-20wcf.
    I have not installed the case feeder because I still need a Crank Slide Assembly which is not supplied as part of the case feeder kit.

I am trying to track down the other parts in NZ failing that both Factory Sales Reloading.com and Titan Reloading.com have these parts in stock and can ship immediately.
    The shipping cost is expensiveand out of proportion to the cost of the parts.

I loaded ten rounds of 25-20wcf on this Load Master yesterday manually feeding the cases.
    The Press is working well and I'm very pleased with the results especially the accuracy of the Auto Disc Powder Dispenser.

Cheers
    Pete
    Name:  IMG_7647.JPG
Views: 919
Size:  31.9 KBName:  IMG_7643.JPG
Views: 907
Size:  61.7 KBName:  IMG_7644.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  68.1 KBName:  IMG_7645.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  63.2 KBName:  IMG_7646.JPG
Views: 1122
Size:  77.8 KB
    Last edited by P38; 21-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    steven likes this.

I just looked at a second hand one that was fairly cheap, until I sat back and worked out what it would cost to get the possible bits to repair and upgrade and then compared it to new....

Im seeing pretty mixed reviews on it, some say the quality isnt there, yet others say it works well, my impression is it takes a bit of patience to make work properly/well?

Whats sort of issues (fiddly bits) have you had?

A new onLee with dies is $513 v $800 for a Dillon 550b...quite a jump...
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Mine is set up for .223. Have loaded about 2k rounds with mine. No issues with it. Going at a slowish pace, verifying each load visually, sees me cranking out about 400 rounds/hr.

Go to the loadmastervideos site, follow their set up guide and you won't have any problems. Also, make sure you lube it properly, with the right oil/grease in the right places, and it will run very nicely.

The only thing requiring a bit of brain power is working out the combination of powder disks to get the load you want for rifle loads....

You can get something better if you spend more, but the extra $ you'd have to spend to get all the go fast bits (case and bullet feeders, trimmers etc.) means you REALLY have to want to go all out for the very best. If money was no object, I'd spend a few $k on a dillon 1050 with all the bits. Since that would see me lynched by SWMBO, I spent $400 and got the load master

P38
    Steven

The Load Masters are good to use and load quality ammo but do require paying attention to detail especially when setting it up.
    I'm an Engineer by trade and love to tinker with stuff like this to improve the operation.

Priming would have to be it's weakest point but like Scaggly said go to these sites and see how others have solved their issues.

loadmastervideos.com :: Index
    Lee Load Master Manual

I also agree with Scaggly lube it properly and make sure it is "Mounted Rock Solid" .... no movement or flex in the loading bench whatsoever, ensure you bottom out each up and down stroke and it will run smooth.
    I have a peice of 300x300x30 mild steel plate that I will mount my press on and secure to the bench. The bench is also bolted to the floor and wall to ensure there is no movement.

I've owned a Load Master in the 90's and loaded thousands and thousands of 9mm and 38special/357mag over a five or six year period with only a few minor teething troubles when I first set it up and begun to learn how to use it.

The only downside to them is they can really crank finished rounds out fast and furious once you find your rythm.
    I like to get out in the shed , switch on the sounds, kick back, relax and reload some ammo but with the Load Master you can easily load several weeks worth of ammo in the blink orf an eye.

Everyone will tell you buy a Dillion ....... All I can say is like any progressive press they also have their issues that need to be worked through too and change parts for alternative calibres are very expensive.

So far I've spent $270nz on parts and shipping with another $150ish to be spent on the remaining parts, $35 of which is the cheapest bloody shipping option.

This will get me two Load Masters fully kitted including Case, Primer & Bullet feeders to load .22 Hornet, 25-20wcf, 222, 223, 38special, 357mag, 44special, 44mag, 6.5x55 and 308w.

Although I will probally only load 38special/357mag & 44special/44mag on one press and 22 Hornet, 25-20wcf, 222 & 223 on the other.

Cheers
    Pete

P38
    After a bit of a wait for Lee Precision to catch up on production I finally got all the parts I need to reload multiple rifle and pistol calibres with these Loadmasters and I have also mounted both presses on a purpose built bench.
    The intention is to load Rifle calibres on one press and Pistol calibres on the other.
    Name:  IMG_7867.JPG
Views: 1478
Size:  211.4 KBName:  IMG_7869.JPG
Views: 995
Size:  227.4 KBName:  IMG_7870.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  223.8 KB

It's all looking good so far with the next big test loading a couple of hundred .223 rounds.

Cheers
    Pete
    Normie and Bryan like this.

ebf
    Looking good
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute