Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By BRADS
  • 1 Post By Ginga
  • 2 Post By Nathan F

Thread: Load for 7RM sako 75

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    506

    Load for 7RM sako 75

    Hi, just bought a sako 75 stainless synthetic 7 rem mag. Anyone have any loads they have had success with in one of these rifles? Cheers. Tom.

  2. #2
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,975
    No 2 rifles are the same so it's a bit subjective, also knowing what powders you have on hand would help.
    But I would suggest 162gn eldm's doing anywhere from 2850fps to 3050fps have proved very effective and easy to get a good load for many.
    But you really need to work up to your most consistent speed and then fiddle your seating depth if accuracy is not as desired once you find your speed node.
    #DANNYCENT

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    No 2 rifles are the same so it's a bit subjective, also knowing what powders you have on hand would help.
    But I would suggest 162gn eldm's doing anywhere from 2850fps to 3050fps have proved very effective and easy to get a good load for many.
    But you really need to work up to your most consistent speed and then fiddle your seating depth if accuracy is not as desired once you find your speed node.

    Thanks Danny. Yip get what you are saying but searching for utopia! Have 2225 and rl26.

  4. #4
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Thanks Danny. Yip get what you are saying but searching for utopia! Have 2225 and rl26.
    Well sounds like it's time for a ladder test, start well below book max Seated to 20thou off the jam point then work your way up in .5gn increments.
    Which ever gives you the most consistent speed is probably where you'll find accuracy, but if not stick with the most consistent speed and try changing the seating depth 3thou at a time.
    2225 is great in my 85 action but hard to come by at the moment so I will be doing another load development with 2217 when it arrives down south.
    Be warned the eldms can be a little explody if shooting inside 200 yards especially if being driven hard.
    Worth looking at the balistics when your looking at speed nodes and thinking realistically about how far your likely to shoot on average because even driven at 2800fps they are plenty deadly to out plenty far, and probably better under 200yards than the same pill doing 3000fps, end of the day horses for courses and shot placement always plays a part.
    #DANNYCENT

  5. #5
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    8,391
    Hey Tom my 75 went well on 162eldm 72.3gr 2217, 215 primer, 3.460oal 3005fps

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Gibo and dannyb like this.

  6. #6
    Member buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    taihape
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Hi, just bought a sako 75 stainless synthetic 7 rem mag. Anyone have any loads they have had success with in one of these rifles? Cheers. Tom.
    Shit a rm u ok?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Shit a rm u ok?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I am mate. The rifles not the lightest with a Leupold vx7 on it but it balances real nice. Might take it in the ruahines next week as my “back up rifle” in case there’s a grizzly around! Trusty 7 08 gets first go. Your old 260 carbonlight shot a few on waitangi weekend.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Hey Tom my 75 went well on 162eldm 72.3gr 2217, 215 primer, 3.460oal 3005fps

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

    Thanks Brad. Good info.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Well sounds like it's time for a ladder test, start well below book max Seated to 20thou off the jam point then work your way up in .5gn increments.
    Which ever gives you the most consistent speed is probably where you'll find accuracy, but if not stick with the most consistent speed and try changing the seating depth 3thou at a time.
    2225 is great in my 85 action but hard to come by at the moment so I will be doing another load development with 2217 when it arrives down south.
    Be warned the eldms can be a little explody if shooting inside 200 yards especially if being driven hard.
    Worth looking at the balistics when your looking at speed nodes and thinking realistically about how far your likely to shoot on average because even driven at 2800fps they are plenty deadly to out plenty far, and probably better under 200yards than the same pill doing 3000fps, end of the day horses for courses and shot placement always plays a part.
    Roger!
    dannyb likes this.

  10. #10
    Member buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    taihape
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Yeah I am mate. The rifles not the lightest with a Leupold vx7 on it but it balances real nice. Might take it in the ruahines next week as my “back up rifle” in case there’s a grizzly around! Trusty 7 08 gets first go. Your old 260 carbonlight shot a few on waitangi weekend.
    Chur chur mean nice guns


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Member Nathan F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,273
    73gns of 2225 , 162 gn amax for 3100 fps
    7mmsaum and BRADS like this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hastings
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    73gns of 2225 , 162 gn amax for 3100 fps
    Thanks Nathan. Don’t have amax on hand but will try 160 tmk.

  13. #13
    Not even Banned ow dannyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, North Canterbury
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
    Thanks Nathan. Don’t have amax on hand but will try 160 tmk.
    162eldm are pretty much the same thing, I have found amax and eldm load data interchangeable
    #DANNYCENT

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Load for 260 sako/tikka
    By Ginga in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-04-2020, 07:27 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-04-2019, 09:10 PM
  3. FS: Optilocks- Sako & Tikka, Sako 75 mag.
    By Wildman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-05-2018, 07:06 PM
  4. Sako 2017 New Release (Sako Porn)
    By kokako in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2017, 08:59 AM
  5. New Sako 85 .308 load needed please
    By robh500 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 23-03-2016, 05:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!