Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By robhughes-games
  • 1 Post By shooternz

Thread: load development while fire forming

load development while fire forming

can you learn anything from trying loads while your fire forming new brass or are the accuracy nodes completely irrelevant one your brass has been formed to your chamber and resized? do most guys just form with a lowish charge and cheap bullet or try begin the process with the new brass and take down some loads charges that are accurate ?

I did all my load D with new brass. Now they are all fireformed:-) didn't notice any change. You should try it. Fire form brass needed for load D once load D done shoot a 3-5 shot group from load D fireformed brass and then same number through non fire formed brand new brass. I would be interested in the results

Hamish

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I did my load development while fireforming for the 7mm practical. Think it depends on how dramatic vase volume is changing. From 300winmag to 7practical isn't that big a jump in brass I don't think. I did some seating depth tests and just got a rough idea of nodes. Once formed I figure the nodes will be at similar speeds but the amount of powder to get those speeds changes. I only formed about 25 bits of brass and then finished load development with that. Now I just use my final load for fireforming new brass and still shoot with that load to 600ish on gongs for time behind the rifle.

In saying that if you have some old powder then jam it in stick a wad of paper on top, remove any break,silencer ect and go scare some birds
    Sideshow likes this.

If you are loading a standard case for a hunting rifle just load them and go hunting , if starting from scratch with new projectiles and powder do your standard work up procedure when you get the best load,
    load the rest of the cases and go hunting, unless you are target shooting or hunting at extreme ranges fire forming is a waste of time and components,
    You will only see any difference between new and fire formed cases at ranges past 500 metres and then only with top of the range equipment and excellent shooting technique.
    HNTMAD likes this.