Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: load issue, or loader.

load issue, or loader.

I have just tested 3 reloads for my .300wsm from a tried and true recipe, i once had 200 of these loads and now have 20 left so i started reloading them to the exact same recipe, i used to get 1\2inch group but now looking at 3 inch with my loads.
    The rounds are tight chambering and very tight ejecting and have these marks on the face of them.

Any one have any ideas. The tightness would be shell length wouldn't it if the loaded round is the same length as the old reloads that dont give issues.

Its my first attempt at reloading so not sure about things yet.

They are excessive pressure signs but i will let someone more experienced solve your problems

Wow, lots of pressure there.
    I would say since you are feeling some tension on closing the bolt that they are not re-sized enough. Are you Full Length sizing them? If this is so, maybe try winding that die down a smidge more to push the shoulder back a bit.

Im not confident on this but this is my take on what is happening with the case signs.
    With the case being too long for the chamber (i.e. not full length sized enough) it has increased the pressure in the case and given you some signs of that.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Is your overall length the same.
    Seating bullets out longer they could be jaming in the rifleing (hence tight to close bolt)an causing a pressure spike if load was worked up with a jump.
    Same powder, same primer?
    Scales calibrated?

Check fired case you haven't rereloaded for tight chambering.
    Check sized case for tight chambering.
    Then check loaded for the same.
    If the original unsized cases are tight it would indicate the load is hot and hotter still when reloaded in the stretched case as it no longer as anywhere to stretch to.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Same overall length, same powder same primer and powder content.
    Mine were neck sized with brass that was fired in my gun. Im trying to full size some now but cannot get the shell to travel all the way in to the dye, most times i get half way then have to bring it out and in several times to get it 10mm from the bottom then its just to hard to get the shell to release.

what powder? batch numbers can vary, might be temperature changes etc

Trim length maybe?

I notice you have a few ejecter marks on the cases? were the old loads doing the same?

With my 300wsm i like to have a bit of resistance on closing the bolt

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Looks hot to me. Each case base has an ejector mark x2, with the middle one being a doozy so this is not a new issue me thinks either. What was the powder Mal? Some powders have been reported to have batch variances.
    Temperature down your way shouldn't change much, cold - cold and cold so that should not be an issue.

Your tight to chamber probably is a red herring maybe as it is just a FL size to fix and I have no experience of it affecting pressure. You need a better lube if your having issues FL sizing.

What is the case OAL too? Too long and it could be getting wedged in the neck area to increase pressures.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    what powder? batch numbers can vary, might be temperature changes etc

Trim length maybe?

I notice you have a few ejecter marks on the cases? were the old loads doing the same?

With my 300wsm i like to have a bit of resistance on closing the bolt
    SNAP
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

ebf
    thats WAY hot, primer cratering and extractor marks.

same batch of powder ? only other thing i can think of is it was significantly warmer when you shot these ?
    Nibblet likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Im trying to full size some now but cannot get the shell to travel all the way in to the dye, most times i get half way then have to bring it out and in several times to get it 10mm from the bottom then its just to hard to get the shell to release.
    Sounds like the web/case head (sorry not sure what to call it exactly) has expanded significantly if you cant get it in the die? assuming your using lots of lube of course. Run a bent paper clip up the inside of the case and see if you can feel a ridge forming, that will indicate case head seperation is about to happen, not good. Probably not the problem but might as well check to be safe

Ok so its Winchester 760 ball powder and i believe it is the same batch, here is what i have done so far.
    Re sized the shells oal and full sized them, lube is the issue with sticking in the dye, stroke against 1 shot spray, its shit.
    I have loaded 3 at the same weight and 3 with 1 gn less.
    Just printing a new target and i will test.
    Never had an issue with loading or extracting these shells before apart from shooting in the 30 deg plus range, no chance of that today.

Whats your load?

69gn 760 ball and a 168 amax toby, mag primer.

So after that round of test fires the 69gn loads showed allot less pressure marks but still no group of old, the 68gn loads were only slightly tighter 2 with in an inch of each other but a flyer 3 inches high.
    Tomorrow or tonight i may pull the rifle down and check clearances etc, if i have to but hopefully not ill pull the scope off and mounts and start from scratch.
    Dam gun hardly gets used these days so a little disappointing to have to go through all of this.

hmmm weird

action screws potentially loose?

Im assuming your shoting at 100 so a 3inch flyer is pretty large, something may be loose

I just looked in my folder has 65gr 760 for 168gr at max. Maybe 69 is too high