Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Looking at learning to reload, cost effective or better to keep buying cheap ammo

Looking at learning to reload, cost effective or better to keep buying cheap ammo

Hey all,

I was looking at grabbing some Hornady Training Brass ammo and got a shock when i was told when it arrives it'll be $989 for 1000!!! thats a huge price increase!!

i've got a fair bit of cheap Federal 223 50g varmint BT tip and 55g FMJ for $799/1000, and i've keeping the brass if i do choose to reload, i don't know if this brass is any good, but its brass.

As it just normal plinking and targets and maybe the odd rabbit for now, is it $$$ worth it, i've got the time to reload.

I did some quick calculations from bulk buying from Reloaders and the components and put it through Reloading Costs Calculator « Ultimate Reloader Reloading Blog

and came up with 70 cents a bullet or $700 for 1000

this was with ADI AR2207, V Max 55g CCI primers and me suppling the brass.

Does this sound right to experienced reloaders.

I like the range of Hornady Lock n Load range of gear and that Stainless steel wet media tumbling looks good and has anyone had experience with this gear.

I don't think i would need a progressive setup as i would only be loading about 100 rounds a month.

Its fun
    Haydendev likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Tools not Toys
    I am also considering reloading, more for the satisfaction of "rolling your own" than cost but if I can get more bang for the buck than all the better! I would ideally get a setup for .223 and .308 but have know idea where to start. A good list of gear to buy and some basic instruction to get started would be bloody well received. You obviously are a little ahead of me The Jackel, but if you guys could chuck in a few basics with your replies to The Jackel, it will be much appreciated. Thanks
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast.

Me too. I am may be thinking of going 50/50 on the bulk of the gear with a mate. Hopefully this will enable us to get a slightly better setup for less money.

Fulla
    I don't reload to save money, I do it to be able to use projectiles like the amax that you cant buy already loaded from a store.
    also I can make a load for my rifle that makes it more accurate.
    it makes me a better shot, as I have to shoot my best to fire test loads.
    cost doesn't come into it much, but I hear from others you get to shoot more for the same amount of money.
    Dougie and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    I don't reload to save money, I do it to be able to use projectiles like the amax that you cant buy already loaded from a store.
    also I can make a load for my rifle that makes it more accurate.
    it makes me a better shot, as I have to shoot my best to fire test loads.
    cost doesn't come into it much, but I hear from others you get to shoot more for the same amount of money.
    Yep I'll have what he's having +1 for all of the above.

(Also it'd actually proabably cost me a fiver for each round off the shelf..)
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I reload my own for both rifle and pistol. Once you get a bit of knowledge it's relaxing and great fun. Got to say though don't skimp on quality reloading tools. They last longer and you will end up with a more accurate load. Great times when you head of for testing with satisfaction that you build the big bang.

That's a whatchamacallit! Isn't it?

Fulla
    using that calculator, it looks like im breaking even, roughly. (dollar values off the top of my head, compared to the superformance I was buying) that's for my 7mag. im not sure how many loads from the brass that calculator gives though.

but that wont make me stop. I suppose if I put my hourly rate in for my time, im way off.

ebf
    Will be interesting to see the responses to this one. Depends on how much you shoot and how accurate ammo you really need.

My view is that if you are reloading for cost only (not hyper serious about accuracy) it is not worth it (provided you don't shoot 1000s of rounds a month)

If however your requirement is for something more accurate than minute of deer/pig, you will save money, but only if you shoot a LOT.

I shoot f-class, and it from a pure cost perspective, it would take me at least 2000 rounds to recover the investment, and that is using inexpensive lee press and dies.

Most target clubs have pretty reasonable ammo, and if you are into high-volume sports using semis, you are maybe better of looking at bulk purchases...

Reloading is a separate hobby, with all sorts of toys and bits to spend money on
    LegaSea and hanse like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by POME View Post
    Me too. I am may be thinking of going 50/50 on the bulk of the gear with a mate. Hopefully this will enable us to get a slightly better setup for less money.
    unless you are neighbours, I wouldn't. you will need something and it wont be at your house or he will be using it at the same time you need it. just buy something every time you can, theres no hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    unless you are neighbours, I wouldn't. you will need something and it wont be at your house or he will be using it at the same time you need it. just buy something every time you can, theres no hurry.
    He lives just 2 mins away. And it would be setup in my workshop so that should not be a problem. He is he one with all the knowledge as he reloaded pistol and rifle for many years with his uncle. But i understand what you are saying.

Looks like there are few of us interested,

it does worry me about being another hobby, as i tend to try and buy the best i can justify, as you get what you pay for. but it really drains the fun account

It would be cool to make up some ammo with different projectiles, i was hoping to reduce my costs in the long term, i'll have to work out what i need and see what the payback period is.

I've noticed a huge differences in prices here in NZ than when i lived in AUS. No wonder everyone moves there.

Has anyone one imported reloading gear from the states, its pricey here, i noticed Opticplanet does 220v stuff and has a really good range of hornady gear.

Like the Nike ad says "Just do it" its fun, you generally get better ammo and well its fun and you shoot more and its fun. Did I mention fun!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

You will not save money. Because you will end up working up a load, then think hmm I can do better than that. Or what about this projectile? Or people are talking this powder up, let's try that one.

I not saying its bad, but you will find yourself shooting more. But like Mikee says its FUN!!

I started reloading as it was costing me $95/20 for my 270wsm.
    I'm using projectiles that I couldn't find in loaded ammo readily.

So I think it's costing me $2.80 or $3 to reload accubonds or Berger VLD's
    Good luck

Puku
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

P38
    Awesome more victims ...........errr Reloading Enthusiasts.

Remember the Reloaders Motto:
    First comes fascination ...... follwed quickly by addiction.

And welcome to the wounderful Brotherhood of Reloading.

There's something special about shooting the perfect score or taking an awesome animal with a round that you have developed and put together yourself, but remember while the cost per round may seem to work out cheaper than store bought rounds you will never, ever save money reloading. There's always something more to spend your money on.

When starting out ask heaps of dumb questions, read everthing you can, keep an open mind, start small, experiment a little and have fun.

Cheers
    Pete
    roig, R93 and steven like this.