Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

looking for a start point for 7mm08 with 168gr berger bullets

Hey guys,
    Just wondering if anybody on here has loaded any 168gr berger bullets for their 7mm08. I have just finished getting my new rifle built and am looking for a starting point including powder suggestions to start load developing!!! Was hoping to go with the 162gr hornady amax bullet but with the shortage of them in the country and the easy access to the bergers i have decided to do with them for now!! Any help would be greatfully appreciated!!

Caretaker
    Have you done the maths for the Nosler 150 Ballistic Tip at your expected velocities ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

i havent yet... just got the rifle back today and am just going through bc's and such of different bullets as we speak!! I use the berger bullets in my 270 and my 300wsm and they always seem to preform but saying that i only ever shoot those rifles 300m or less!!

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by r_elliott01 View Post
    i havent yet... just got the rifle back today and am just going through bc's and such of different bullets as we speak!! I use the berger bullets in my 270 and my 300wsm and they always seem to preform but saying that i only ever shoot those rifles 300m or less!!
    We want photos

The one im doing at the moment i started at 42gr of r17 an the a-max an worked up proving to be a good combo so far will try it in the next one as well

pics are def to follow abe!!! so excited to get it out and shoot it!!! hoping to get the scope and everything mounted tomorrow and the if weather permits break in on thursday!!

Disclaimer: As with all reloading start at the bottom end and work your way up.

In my Tikka T3 7mm-08 with 168 VLD's, I've used ADI's 2209 starting at 44.5 grains, finishing at 47.2 gn (these start and finish figures came from the ADI Powders - Handloaders Guide 5th ed). The cartridge base to ogive being 2.2685" which gives 20 thou jump in this rifle.

NOTE:
    (1) Your rifle will probably have different jump length.
    (2) Berger's reloading manual for the 2209 powder equivalents start at 35 gn and finish at 42.4

Hope that helps

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    We want photos

The one im doing at the moment i started at 42gr of r17 an the a-max an worked up proving to be a good combo so far will try it in the next one as well
    What sort of velocity are you getting with the R17 and Amax in the 708?