Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lubing case neck before seating

Lubing case neck before seating

Hi all,
    I've been doing a lot of reading on the net, on the topic of a case neck being "Too squeaky clean" before seating. This may make for inconsistent seating. As you know there are pros and cons no matter what the topic it is that you are researching on the net. What I have read is that it can be advantageous to have a little lube applied with a cotton bud or graphite. Apparently this may provide more smooth and consistent seating, and will help over distance with a smaller vertical strings (or some such). Now, I have absolutely no idea if this is correct or not, but I thought I'd put it out there to see if there is merit in it.
    I'd be interested to know if people size before or after cleaning?
    Thoughts?

I use graphite powder.
    I do the sizeing after they been tumbled so the flash hole doesnt fill with media.

Lube in the case mouth in my opinion is a terrible idea neck tension is what holds the projectile and gives a consistent "start" to ignition anything that can vary that should be avoided. Having said that its unlikely to make any difference in practical hunting terms unless it affects neck tension so badly that the projectiles reset under recoil.
    Boat tails seat easily flat base less so but a minute flare or chamfer fixes that.
    There are moly coated bullets and moly kits available but Ive not seen any evidence that they shoot any better.

Banned
    Moly powder + moisture = sulfuric acid, so I would never put that shit anywhere near my rifle.

At chamber pressures any liquid, water or lube, is going to be very bad news. Brass is liquid at these pressures.

Brass on copper will give you consistent neck tension if your brass is clean and consistent.

Like like my brass spotlessly clean before the powder and projectile goes in.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    I use a plastic bore brush to clean any loose residue out from inside of the neck; that's all it needs as I only use bushing dies.

I don't think a little ultra fine graphite powder would hurt any though; especially if you use dies with an expander on the de-capping pin. You want as little friction as possible with those dies when the expander is pulled back through the neck.
    6x47 likes this.

GWH
    On my ammo that i use for long range work, i dip the base of the projectiles in the applicator container of Graphite powder (with little balls in it) gives a fine coating of graphite on the bullet base. I believe it helps give a nice consistant bullet release from shot to shot, helping long range precision. I also think it will help to stop the bullet seising into the neck if the ammo sits for long periods of time.
    Oli1102 likes this.

Banned
    Lubing the case neck won't make release any more consistent, as whatever inconsistency in neck tightness was already there, will still be there. All you did was consistently lower the hold on the projectile.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Lubing the case neck won't make release any more consistent, as whatever inconsistency in neck tightness was already there, will still be there. All you did was consistently lower the hold on the projectile.
    The brass is all neck turned and annealed often, which have shot 3 inch group's at 1275 yards, I doubt there's much inconsistent neck tension.

Ok this is great... something else I read, which of course I have no idea about, is that sizing/trimming/chamfer before cleaning/tumbling etc may effect neck tension going through this process, and should rather be cleaned and prepped before sizing, for more consistent tension. Again this could be pig sh!t, I have no idea. What is the group's view on this?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    On my ammo that i use for long range work, i dip the base of the projectiles in the applicator container of Graphite powder (with little balls in it) gives a fine coating of graphite on the bullet base. I believe it helps give a nice consistant bullet release from shot to shot, helping long range precision. I also think it will help to stop the bullet seising into the neck if the ammo sits for long periods of time.
    Where did you buy this graphite device mate? I'm sure it will provide intetesting reading. I've been trying to find the article I read, but the author had a 6 inch increase vertically compared to not putting a minute but of live in the neck.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Where did you buy this graphite device mate? I'm sure it will provide intetesting reading. I've been trying to find the article I read, but the author had a 6 inch increase vertically compared to not putting a minute but of live in the neck.
    https://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...prod55188.aspx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    The brass is all neck turned and annealed often, which have shot 3 inch group's at 1275 yards, I doubt there's much inconsistent neck tension.
    So why did you need the lube to make it more consistent?

This is stuff I use...brass cleaned first, then annealed, then dipped in graphite, then light case lube. Found it works very well and the graphite saves a step of using a brush to remove inside neck lube after sizing (otherwise when you pour powder it sticks and blocks up....super annoying!).
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    So why did you need the lube to make it more consistent?
    I possibly didn't but just a habit I have got into, seems to work so keep doing it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    chainsaw and Tussock like this.

Banned
    I wash everything in fuelite before loading. I have a sonic cleaner now.