Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Lupo 30-06 load development "the lone wolf"

Lupo 30-06 load development "the lone wolf"

@Micky Duck you were right my patience got the better of me
    With 20 once fired Sako cases I couldn't help but make a start on load development for my new Benelli Lupo 30-06.
    With things what they are at the moment I took a huge gamble and bought bulk powder and projectiles due to not being able to garuntee being able to obtain them later.....
    So I ended up with 6lbs of Superformance and 400x 178gn eldms in the hope of finding a decent load.
    I checked my maximum seating depth by putting loctite on the base of a projectile and slipping it into a fired case then chambering the case and waiting for the loctite to set (about 30 minutes).
    My Jam measurement was 2.741"
    My mag allowed for seating depth of 2.716"
    Both measurements are Ogive length not C.O.A.L
    Which left me with about 25thou jump for a mag fed round. This seemed like as good a place as any to start.

I got hold of some load data from the Hornandy loading manual and set about loading my charge ladder.

Name:  Screenshot_20211025-141659_WhatsApp.jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  380.0 KB
    Last edited by dannyb; 25-10-2021 at 02:32 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

My ladder started at 57.5gn going up to 60gn in .5gn increments, I know some will point out that book max is 59.3gn but due to ke seating projectiles further out I was comfortable that I would be ok.
    I shot the ladder waiting painfully for the title to cool down between groups its a sunny warm day here in North Canterbury and with no shade on my range the black wolf gets hot without shooting let alone putting 20 rounds down the tube.
    I shot my last 2 factory rounds to make sure I was on target and yup all good there.
    I shot the ladder and the results where not at all surprising.
    I have read that Superformance likes a fairly full case if you want good E.S, and that's certainly what the ladder suggests.
    Unfortunately I had a couple of hiccups whilst shooting, on one of the best E.S loads the chrono errored on the second shot only giving me 2 velocities for that group and on my 2 best E.S loads I have a query as to whether I pulled 1 of the shots. I am certain I pulled 1 but it's quite possible I also pulled 1 on the previous group as well.
    I will have to load both those charge weights and try again as the E:S on those 2 groups was 5fps and 7fps respectively....granted the lower E.S group was only averaged off 2 rounds due to chrono error....
    I am also tempted to load those to charge weights at saami spec just for shits and gigs to see where it's at.
    Pics of groups coming shortly then I'm off to the loading bench to make up another batch....
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Please note squares on targets are 1" grid, the second target has my 2 factory round shots

Name:  20211025_135349.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  3.78 MB

Name:  20211025_135357.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  3.99 MB

Name:  20211025_135402.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  3.94 MB

Name:  20211025_135406.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  3.63 MB

Name:  20211025_135411.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  3.99 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 25-10-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    Tahr, veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Attachment 182048

Attachment 182049

Please note squares on targets are 1" grid, the second target has my 2 factory round shots on it as well

Attachment 182050

Attachment 182051

Attachment 182052
    This post is like sex using a condom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    This post is like sex using a condom.
    I'm trying to sort it
    Tahr likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I think at this stage I will load 58.5gn and 59gn again at the same ogive length just to see if the E.S is stable and to see if I pulled those shots or not.
    If the E.S is stable but the groups stay the same then I will start to tutu with the seating depth.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I would tend to work closely on the 59.5 mate.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

That should work.
    I thought you might have found a little more speed tho....any preasure signs?
    The 178 amax/eldm is a great bullet on game.
    dannyb likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That should work.
    I thought you might have found a little more speed tho....any preasure signs?
    The 178 amax/eldm is a great bullet on game.
    None even at 60gn but will see how the next batch go. On the range again tomorrow weather pending.
    If the e.s stays stable but the groups are same as the original then I will play with seating them deeper this may increase velocity.
    Also bear in mind it's a 22" barrel so my actual velocities are about in line with the manual suggested also taking into account my longer than saami spec seating depth.
    Either way a 178gn eldm will be deadly to a long way out even at 2704fps.
    I am mindful that superformance can be a bit finicky if using hot loads so I'm happy not to be at max or verging on pressure, sure I could keep going higher till I hit pressure but for what gain ? Use more powder ? More throat erosion ? The manual suggests 2750fps as a max load I don't need to be there especially given the wide e.s at 60gn.
    An e.s under 10fps suits me just fine as long as it's accurate I don't think the deer will notice 50fps difference
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

2700 with those 178s will see you shoot as far as you are even able to on game. Also not too fast for close work on game in the bush
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    2700 with those 178s will see you shoot as far as you are even able to on game. Also not too fast for close work on game in the bush
    Yup my thinking too
    6 more red tip devils awaiting a trip to the range

Name:  20211025_163507.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  3.25 MB
    #DANNYCENT

awesome.....if nothing else you have some idea what rifle likes now....and none of those groups would have meant a deer getting away out to 300yards.....

you best sort out that pulling of rounds bud....cant be having a rhymes with grinch developing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    awesome.....if nothing else you have some idea what rifle likes now....and none of those groups would have meant a deer getting away out to 300yards.....

you best sort out that pulling of rounds bud....cant be having a rhymes with grinch developing.....
    Nah I don't think its the F word mate, this rifle is an absolute pussycat as far as recoil is concerned. I'll get it sorted.
    Wish bloody Toll would hurry up with my brass, there tracking page is useless and doesnt show any progress just that it was picked up and where its meant to be delivered, was picked up a week ago now.....
    #DANNYCENT

all good...dies doing the job ok???? they been sitting idle for close to 20 years LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    all good...dies doing the job ok???? they been sitting idle for close to 20 years LOL.
    I had to clean a bit of corrosion from the seater stem and gave them both a good thorough clean, but yes they are proving to be very consistent.
    Thanks mate your a bloody legend, probably will end up buying a set of hornandy or redding at some stage so I have my own.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT