Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Lupo 30-06 load development "the lone wolf"

Also an ES of 18fps over 12x shots is pretty good. 9 fps either side doesn't make f all difference
    outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Hence why I loaded up 12 rounds, I just don't understand how the 3 rounds I loaded to the same charge weight this morning were 30fps slower than the 12 rounds I loaded this afternoon.
    2730fps vs 2760fps
    Am I worrying about nothing or is there something else going on here ?
    There was no P.O.I shift from this morning to this afternoon other than I adjusted the scope 4 clicks left.
    Precision vs accuracy. The never ending battle with optical chronographs (im assuming you are using one).

You are worried about nothing, assuming you are happy with the accuracy.

Just lock the load in and check drop at range
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so......are shots grouped together sequential ??? or is it random.....EG did you get the three close together,then the 2
    the 2,the 2 and single???
    The second group was shot immediately after the first group and the 2 foulers (7 rounds in total), I noted it was shooting a little left and checked the barrel (it was pretty warm so let it cool down a bit then shoot the other 3 that are closer together and more centered.
    #DANNYCENT

The 30fps from morning to afternoon will almost certainly be the chrony, changed light conditions or if you re set it up will do that easy.
    This is why we validate drop at range.
    chainsaw, Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sorry I didnt ask that right.....I see 10 holes...so 2x5 shots BUT THERE are clusters of shots on both targets...did the shots make clusters...or was it one here,one there,another here then another there...
    top target has 1/2" group x2 OR a 5 shot 1 1/8th" group less than 1" wide
    bottom target has 2x 1/4" groups plus a single no mates or group 1" high and 1 1/2" wide

can you see what Im asking now????

I reckon you need to do the Ryan Songhurst patented rifle accuracy testing method and go out and buy a box of federal blue box and check if it can actually stack rounds consistently to begin with before chasing it round and round on paper with varying results. Often I think someone shoots one ok-ish 3 shot group, they may even get two ok-ish with a given load and think they're on the money and then a spanner gets thrown in the works and the rifle stops shooting that load as well or inconsistent data comes back. I think it's strange that it can throw a real big group then only a few tenths later it's on the money and it may actually just be fluking it or such a small node it's always going to be inconsistent short of having 110% reliable data and being able to duplicate that load precisely which the average reloader just won't be able to do. You're dealing with a brand new rifle also and brand new rifles often do silly things for the first couple hundred rounds untill the barrel settles down.
    I think the best node for a hunting rifle is the one that's very forgiving and can go half a grain either way without getting too far out of whack and there's no point chasing a load that opens up if you go .3gr either side of it
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    sorry I didnt ask that right.....I see 10 holes...so 2x5 shots BUT THERE are clusters of shots on both targets...did the shots make clusters...or was it one here,one there,another here then another there...
    top target has 1/2" group x2 OR a 5 shot 1 1/8th" group less than 1" wide
    bottom target has 2x 1/4" groups plus a single no mates or group 1" high and 1 1/2" wide

can you see what Im asking now????
    Yeah the shots that are close together were consecutive.
    #DANNYCENT

AND that tells us what???? normally......
    what does group stringing vertically USUALLY mean?
    what does group stringing horozontally USUALLY mean?
    and for a coconut....
    what does double grouping NORMALLY/USUALLY mean????

double check the bedding/screw tension

and Mr Sonhurst is 100% right........same as I said redo your sako brass load that was really good...use it as your baseline/check for "sumfin else"playing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I reckon you need to do the Ryan Songhurst patented rifle accuracy testing method and go out and buy a box of federal blue box and check if it can actually stack rounds consistently to begin with before chasing it round and round on paper with varying results. Often I think someone shoots one ok-ish 3 shot group, they may even get two ok-ish with a given load and think they're on the money and then a spanner gets thrown in the works and the rifle stops shooting that load as well or inconsistent data comes back. I think it's strange that it can throw a real big group then only a few tenths later it's on the money and it may actually just be fluking it or such a small node it's always going to be inconsistent short of having 110% reliable data and being able to duplicate that load precisely which the average reloader just won't be able to do. You're dealing with a brand new rifle also and brand new rifles often do silly things for the first couple hundred rounds untill the barrel settles down.
    I think the best node for a hunting rifle is the one that's very forgiving and can go half a grain either way without getting too far out of whack and there's no point chasing a load that opens up if you go .3gr either side of it
    It shoots sako factory ammo real well.
    I think I'm going ok but really need to validate the velocity with something better/more reliably consistent than the optical chrono.
    With both the 59 and 59.1gn load I can shoot consistent really good 3 shot groups and have done on 3 different days now.
    The varying velocity given by the optical chrono is driving me nuts though, the e.s is always good but the velocities change every time I set the chrono up.
    Should have never sold my magnetospeed, I may have to borrow one off a mate to finally get good velocity data.
    Never had this issue with magnetospeed and I'm way too poor for a labradar
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I think I'm going ok but really need to validate the velocity with something better/more reliably consistent than the optical chrono.
    With both the 59 and 59.1gn load I can shoot consistent really good 3 shot groups and have done on 3 different days now.
    The varying velocity given by the optical chrono is driving me nuts though, the e.s is always good but the velocities change every time I set the chrono up.
    Should have never sold my magnetospeed, I may have to borrow one off a mate to finally get good velocity data.
    You can use my labradar if you want. I use it bugger all so you can have it for as long as you want, until I want it back
    jakewire, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    You can use my labradar if you want. I use it bugger all so you can have it for as long as you want, until I want it back
    Legend Jock
    #DANNYCENT

Just plug it into shoooter and shoot at range then if any variance adjust velocity in app till matches real world results.
    Make sure your zero is absolutely bang on for center and distance first tho.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

you are answering your own questions without even knowing it...can shoot 3 shot groups.......... so shoot 3...let it cool and shoot another 3 and call it 6 shot group...MAYBE barrel heats up and causes group to shift...loads of rifles do this.
    you can shoot......faaarkin well too....you dont fire more than 3 shots when you are hunting do you????? go on be honest....nah you dont on deer/chammy so having rifle that shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups happily is no problem...you can do it consistantly...you said so.... so do so and be happy,all this component usage is curdling my Scottish blood...LOL.
    veitnamcam, Mooseman and dannyb like this.

oh and what was it confusus said???? many a great load has been ruined by a ............