Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hahn
  • 2 Post By Hahn

Thread: Magnetospeed sporter on a suppressor

Magnetospeed sporter on a suppressor

Evening all,

I read in a couple places you can use magnets instead of modding the sporter. Tested on half a dozen slow bullets it worked a treat.
    Name:  20210904_130630.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  84.7 KB
    I found out the hard way those magnets are very powerful for their size. They're only 10 X 2.5mm and shatter when they come together in your hand. The middle one on the close stack is in three pieces.
    I also can't remember where I wrote down how much powder I used! Might have to pop one open and find out.

Next I'll try out some fast loads, hopefully the magnet trick still works.
    dannyb likes this.

Dont find any of the bullets magnetize to them?

Where did you get the magnets from? This very well could sway me to buy my own and stop pillaging my mates ones

Ha no iron content in the projectiles... Which means I don't understand how the magnetospeed works

I got my 10x2.5mm at https://amfmagnets.co.nz/ in Aus

The manual says you need a 1/8" to 3/8" gap. 3 of those stacked gave me about 7/16" gap with my 41mm suppressor but it still worked with a change in sensitivity.
    Because I've shattered one into three pieces I've ordered some 3mm, 5mm and 10mm to have a play with and close the gap up if I need to with the high speed loads. They are from a NZ company https://www.magneticsolutions.co.nz/...nets-20/page/3
    keengunNic and winaa like this.

I've been using the magneto Sporter on my suppressors. It works with Hi2 sensitivity on about 75gr or bigger bullets. You need a good battery in it though. 62gr or smaller I had to mount it direct to the barrel to get velocities.
    Please keep us updated on using the bigger magnets. Maybe if you can do a comparison with another chronograph to make sure that it will still give correct readings.

Make sure there is short grass in front of you. Maot shits when we did it the magnet closest to the barrel went about 5 m

Update. I'm the middle of development and forgot to heed the above advice. Lost both about 2m forward. Insulation tape holds them tight. Getting good readings now.
    Got a good load to prove on paper next. 69.5 gr 2217 150gr bst @ 3100fps from 20.67" barrel. 270WSM. I think velocity is hot but less flattened primer than 69gr.