Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: magnum primer v large rifle primer

magnum primer v large rifle primer

i would like to know if i can use the magnum primer in my 243 loads instead of the large rifle primer.

Yes BUT!! it will change pressure - velocity - point of aim.Not worth the hassle IMHO.

cheers for that, might try a batch and see how they compare, while i wait for the large primers

A little off topic sorry but better to ask here then start a whole new thread.

I noticed on the Federal bullets they have blue stuff on the bottom, whats it from? and whys it there?
    VIVA LA HOWA

i could be wrong about this but i believe it is a sealing compound. alot of mil ammo also has it.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

magnum primer v large rifle primer

IIRC it is good practice to use magnum primers with ball powders for good ignition no matter the case.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    IIRC it is good practice to use magnum primers with ball powders for good ignition no matter the case.
    ADI 2213sc is what i have using it in my 264 win mag so just checking if i can share them from one to the other

You will be fine to use magnum primers, just work up a load as per normal safe methods. Im using BR2s in my 243AI. Your going to use primers at whatever pace you use them at and will eventually need to buy more so why not just go to a LR primer for the 243 and be done with it. Its not to say that you can't use em, Id just say you may find very little info for 2213SC and a magnum primer. Id also suggest a crony will show you what is really happening. You may get really crap ES or other undesirable but it is just the same with a LR primer.

2213SC should also run well in a 243 with heavier pills.

Awesome thanks James

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I noticed on the Federal bullets they have blue stuff on the bottom, whats it from? and whys it there?
    It seals around the primer to help stop moisture getting in. I've stolen some nail polish from the mrs to do the same job, just wipe it off the top of the primer so it only seals the edges. Also different colour polish can indicate the number of firings the brass has had
    R93 and Tikka7mm08 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewie View Post
    It seals around the primer to help stop moisture getting in. I've stolen some nail polish from the mrs to do the same job, just wipe it off the top of the primer so it only seals the edges. Also different colour polish can indicate the number of firings the brass has had
    I like that idea, been having trouble lately keeping track.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I like that idea, been having trouble lately keeping track.
    I just count the extractor stamps on the head....lol
    Spanners, veitnamcam and kiwijames like this.

So does this mean its fine for me to use fed large rifle primers in my 300 wsm instead of large magnum primers? Ihave done this by mistake once and they were more accurate with a couple of loads. Just thought its probably not a good idea so didnt do any more

Check the powder you are using to see if magnum primers are recommended, if its silent on this you should have no problem. I use CCI and Fed magnum primers from 243, 7mm08, 25-06, 308, 7mmRM....anyway, I like them and never had a problem when working up to the most accurate load.