Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Pete_D
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Pete_D
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 4 Post By shooternz

Thread: Magnum primers with Trailboss ?

Magnum primers with Trailboss ?

Just getting sorted with some cast 151 gr. 308 projectiles because I have a tub of Trailboss sitting idle but I really don't want to use my limited stash of large rifle primers. Searching everywhere I can only find large rifle magnum primers and wondered if those would be a suitable alternative ? I appreciate it won't be unsafe with trailboss but would like to try and get these shooting well. I'm thinking TB is a pistol powder pretty much the opposite of what a magnum primer is suitable for ?
    Thanks guys......

been there done that......no worries at all UNLESS you trying to go subsonic...in the 7.6239mm case I was going down to stupidly light powder charges to get noise down/velocity below supersonic.....changed to std primers and it was much better and more normal levels. for a supersonic loading...no worries at all.
    Pete_D likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yea ok @Micky Duck I didn't think of that...the magnum primer was contributing to the velocity ?, makes sense. Although subs would be fun, I was interested in seeing how a fullish load of TB would go and to extend the range of hunting and plinking.

Yea ok @Micky Duck I didn't think of that...the magnum primer was contributing to the velocity ?, makes sense. Although subs would be fun, I was interested in seeing how a fullish load of TB would go and to extend the range of hunting and plinking.

Magnum primers provide a slightly bigger spark than standard primers. There's no reason they'll be unable to ignite the powder properly. There's a theory that "having just enough primer to get reliable ignition" can help give utmost consistency... But I think that's really for BR shooters who are a lot further down the rabbit hole than a dude shooting lead cast subs ... Another theory I've seen is that "having more primer than needed helps mitigate temperature sensitivity". Is any of that true, or does it matter in your situation? Who knows. Try it and find out. Don't be surprised if they increase speeds a bit.

Trail Boss is a really oddball powder that I wouldn't really call a pistol, shotgun, or a rifle powder. We classify powders as one of those three loosely based on burn rate and yeah TB's burn rate puts it firmly in the pistol category but it's also so bulky and low in energy density that it can be used in just about anything without any concern.
    Pete_D likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

go for it...you will not be disappointed with them...fun, fun, fun, for plinking and at low supersonic levels great projectiles full stop.
    and yes the magnum primers added velocity and noise......
    Pete_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    But I think that's really for BR shooters who are a lot further down the rabbit hole than a dude shooting lead cast subs
    Thats us !

Cheers @Pommy good info there mate. My mate at who shoots pistols reckons some large pistol primers would also work well ?

just be careful......SOME trailboss loads can give high pressure.......high pressure and pistol primers=trouble. do your research and crunch the numbers.
    Pete_D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    just be careful......SOME trailboss loads can give high pressure.......high pressure and pistol primers=trouble. do your research and crunch the numbers.
    Yea we'll skip that idea....shortages sure do make you get creative tho.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I initially used magnum primers when I started loading subs in my 308win as I recall I had be advised to (somewhere) and never had any issues with load development or general shooting. I settled on using 200gn Lapua subs and 10.2gns Trailboss from memory. I am using standard LR primers now and 190 Sub-X and they seem to go well but wouldn't hesitate to use magnum primers again.
    mikee and Pete_D like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Thanks @Shearer I've also just been reading that some recommend magnum primers with TB and subs. I think i'll give them a go and do a test with my dwindling stash of standard LR primers.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I initially used magnum primers when I started loading subs in my 308win as I recall I had be advised to (somewhere) and never had any issues with load development or general shooting. I settled on using 200gn Lapua subs and 10.2gns Trailboss from memory. I am using standard LR primers now and 190 Sub-X and they seem to go well but wouldn't hesitate to use magnum primers again.
    What length barrel please?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    What length barrel please?
    16"
    mikee likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Just getting sorted with some cast 151 gr. 308 projectiles because I have a tub of Trailboss sitting idle but I really don't want to use my limited stash of large rifle primers. Searching everywhere I can only find large rifle magnum primers and wondered if those would be a suitable alternative ? I appreciate it won't be unsafe with trailboss but would like to try and get these shooting well. I'm thinking TB is a pistol powder pretty much the opposite of what a magnum primer is suitable for ?
    Thanks guys......
    Don't worry about the primers you are working at the bottom of the load density range, In a .308 most use 8.0 grains of Trail Boss for about 1040 fps so you have plenty of spread
    left in the pressure range, No point in going for more velocity with Trail Boss it is not very good at much more than 12.0 grains accuracy goes to shot gun patterns,
    If you want more velocity the 151 HP's can handle 27.0 grains of 2206H I shoot a lot of them with this load, Don't ask for Velocity my test rifle has a 30" barrel.
    Shearer, Micky Duck, winaa and 1 others like this.

Thanks @shooternz looking forward to testing them.